From: akb+lists.ding@mirror.to (Andrew B)
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: help with corrupted files; ticked articles missing
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 15:44:27 -0400	[thread overview]

When I do M-g on an nnimap group affected by gnus not having exited
properly, after M-g the status line is:
   3:      30 /  977! 124410: nnimap+servername:INBOX

When I enter the group, it asks how many articles to fetch, defaulting to 1007.
If I tell it "sure, fetch 1007 articles" by hitting RET, it only gets 31,
displaying only one ticked message plus the 30 unread ones.
Doing nothing but entering the group and exiting again the status line becomes:
   3:      30 /    1! 124410: nnimap+servername:INBOX

It seems like maybe the IMAP server knows about the ticked articles but
gnus does not? But somehow when gnus enters the group its
incorrect/corrupted view gets reasserted?

If I want to hand edit things to fix them, is there documentation on the
.newsrc.eld and .newsrc-dribble file formats? Are there any other files
I need to concern myself with to try to fix things?

  --any assistance appreciated!
  --akb