From: Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
Subject: Re: nnml-directory not customizable
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:39:22 -0800	[thread overview]

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> wrote:

> > By the way, how come nnml-directory isn't customizable? I have moved
> > nearly my entire Gnus settings to customize except for that option.
>
> `nnml-directory' is a server variable:

OK, now I get it. But there's a catch. I'd like to have something like
the following in my customize-set-variables stanza:

  '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nnml "" (nnml-directory (expand-file-name "lists" message-directory))))))
  '(message-directory "~/var/mail/")

However, I'm getting the following messages:

  Opening nnml server...
  Unable to open server due to: Wrong type argument: stringp, (expand-file-n...
  Opening nnml server...failed

It would be nice not to have to hard-code the path to the nnml-directory
in the secondary select method so I only have to modify
message-directory if my directory changes.

Any thoughts?

Is the ability to have arbitrary forms as a server variable value a
feature request? If so, the evaluation of the above form would have to
happen *after* custom-set-variables is done so that it gets the correct
value of message-directory.