From: Roderick Schertler <roderick@gate.net>
Subject: full threads from gnus-fetch-old-headers?
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 16:33:23 -0400	[thread overview]

I've got gnus-fetch-old-headers and gnus-build-sparse-threads both set
to t, but I'd like to see even more of the thread data while I'm reading
news.  I'm using Sgnus 0.89 with nnspool.

My news server often receives responses before the posts they're
following up to.  Is there some way that I can get entire threads to
show up in the summary or tree buffers, rather than just those articles
needed to hold threads together?  That is, I'd like to see not only the
articles which precede the unread ones, but articles which are responses
to them as well.  (Ideally, I'd like to be able to have the entries for
every single article in a thread present in the tree buffer (plus the
summary buffer if need be) whenever I've selected even a single article
in the thread.)

More concretely, my problem is this:  I like to answer questions in
comp.lang.perl.misc.  If I read the response to a question a couple of
days before the question comes in, then when I read the question itself
there's no indication in the summary buffer that the question has
already been answered.  If I don't happen to remember reading the
response a few days ago then I'm liable to give a duplicate answer.  I'm
looking for a way to see that the article I'm reading has some replies,
even though I read the replies a few days ago.

Can this be done with Gnus as it stands?  If not could this be put on
the Red wish list?

Thanks for any help.

--
Roderick Schertler