* [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-05  5:35 Luis Fernandes
From: Luis Fernandes @ 2002-11-05  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> ALL HAIL EMACS, THE ONE TRUE EDITOR!
>> *PLONK*

> =v= You mean "Meta-X plonk".
>    <_Jym_>

Can we add M-x plonk to gnus?

* Re: [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-05 12:36 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-11-05 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis Fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

>>> *PLONK*
>
>> =v= You mean "Meta-X plonk".
>>    <_Jym_>
>
> Can we add M-x plonk to gnus?

What would it do?  Score the author down?  Add a Sieve rule to delete
messages from the author?  Add a nnmail split rule to delete messages
from the author?  It seems like an essential feature, if only we could
agree on what it should do.

* Re: [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-05 13:53   ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-11-05 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    jas> Luis Fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

    >>> =v= You mean "Meta-X plonk".  <_Jym_>
    >>  Can we add M-x plonk to gnus?

    jas> What would it do?

The default action would be to just kill-file the poster for the
article currently being viewed. If it was a hook, then additional
customizations could be added by each user.

From the Jargon file:

plonk excl.,vt.

[Usenet: possibly influenced by British slang `plonk' for cheap
booze, or `plonker' for someone behaving stupidly (latter is
lit. equivalent to Yiddish `schmuck')] The sound a newbie makes as he
falls to the bottom of a kill file. While it originated in the
newsgroup talk.bizarre, this term (usually written "*plonk*") is now
(1994) widespread on Usenet as a form of public ridicule.

* Re: [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-05 14:34     ` Reiner Steib
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-11-05 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 05 2002, luis fernandes wrote:

> [...]
[...]
>     >>  Can we add M-x plonk to gnus?
>
>     jas> What would it do?
>
> The default action would be to just kill-file the poster [...]

Kill files are kinda depreciated in Gnus, see (Info-goto-node
"(gnus)Kill Files").

> From the Jargon file:
>
> plonk excl.,vt.

Gnus already has `L a r t RET', which is shorter than `M-x plonk
RET'... ;-)

,----[ From Jargon File (4.3.0, 30 APR 2001) [jargon]: ]
|   LART // Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool. 1. n.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-05 15:01   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-05 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> =v= You mean "Meta-X plonk".
>>>    <_Jym_>
>>
>> Can we add M-x plonk to gnus?
>
> What would it do?

Well, it's the sound of the author's name hitting the killfile.  But
these days, killfiles aren't so trendy anymore, so I vote for
down-scoring.

kai

* Re: [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-05 15:04 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-11-05 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis Fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> Can we add M-x plonk to gnus?

(defalias 'plonk "LA")

* Re: [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-05 15:25       ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-11-05 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> Gnus already has `L a r t RET', which is shorter than `M-x plonk
> RET'... ;-)

LOL!

--
Josh Huber

* Re: [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-05 15:30   ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 2002-11-05 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    per> Luis Fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:
    >> Can we add M-x plonk to gnus?

    per> (defalias 'plonk "LA")

Yeah, that should be fine. Just so we can have an excuse to add the
Jargon File definition of 'plonk' to the Gnus manual. :)

Believe it or not, there was a time when I forgot the key sequence to
kill-file a post and 'M-x plonk' would have come in handy.

* Re: [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-05 17:16       ` Benjamin Lewis
From: Benjamin Lewis @ 2002-11-05 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 05 Nov 2002, Reiner Steib wrote:

> Gnus already has `L a r t RET', which is shorter than `M-x plonk
> RET'... ;-)

Heh.

Unfortunately, my "plonk" is currently `C-u 1000 M-i a L a s p <RET>' which
is a bit more unwieldy... and I don't do it often enough to have bothered
to simplify it yet.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence on society.
- Mark Twain

* Re: [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-05 18:04         ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-11-05 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:

> Unfortunately, my "plonk" is currently `C-u 1000 M-i a L a s p <RET>' which
> is a bit more unwieldy... and I don't do it often enough to have bothered
> to simplify it yet.

I have the following in .gnus.el.  It saves lusers in
~/News/all.BLACKLIST

(defun gnus-summary-blacklist-poster ()
  "Put sender on current line in blacklist."
  (interactive)
  (let ((spammer (mail-header-from (gnus-summary-article-header)))
	(current-score-file gnus-current-score-file))
    (when (gnus-news-group-p gnus-newsgroup-name)
      (gnus-score-change-score-file "all.BLACKLIST")
      (gnus-summary-score-entry "From" spammer 'S' -1001 nil)
      (gnus-score-change-score-file current-score-file)
      (gnus-score-save))))

(eval-after-load "gnus-sum"
  '(define-key gnus-summary-backend-map (kbd "x")
     'gnus-summary-blacklist-poster))

You'll need to add (files "all.BLACKLIST") to all.SCORE.

--
Booting... /vmemacs.el

* Re: [alt.religion.emacs] Re: lets get to the bottom of this once and for all
@ 2002-11-07 10:39       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-07 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> Gnus already has `L a r t RET', which is shorter than `M-x plonk

It's not clear which A can be R'd if postings are just dropped in the
bit bucket...

kai