From: John Owens <jowens@ece.ucdavis.edu>
Cc: John Owens <jowens@ece.ucdavis.edu>
Subject: marks in gnus / uw imapd: what marks / how to set?
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:36:06 -0700	[thread overview]

I'd like to migrate my mail from another mailer (VM) (which stores its
files in mbox format) and maintain as much information from VM's state
as possible, including "marks" (read, new, forwarded, replied, etc.).
Currently I am thinking I need to write a perl script to convert VM
mail to gnus-nnimap mail so that I can maintain these marks. (Other
suggestions gratefully accepted.)

VM seems to store all marks in a special header (X-VM-v5-data). VM
uses the following flags, which I'd like to move to gnus.

vm-new-flag vm-unread-flag vm-deleted-flag vm-filed-flag
vm-replied-flag vm-written-flag vm-forwarded-flag vm-edited-flag
vm-redistributed-flag

I'm trying to figure out how gnus in conjunction with UW imapd stores
the same marks.

As far as I can tell, "Read" and "Old" flags are kept in Status and
"Deleted", "Flagged", "Answered" and "Draft" are in X-Status. So

is the maximum amount of flags stored here?

Gnus seems to keep other keywords. Among them is a forwarded flag,
which is kept in X-Keywords as "gnus-forward". I haven't got anything
else to appear in this header yet. But there are other gnus flags:

gnus-replied mark - I presume this corresponds to Answered.

gnus-recent mark - I presume this corresponds to not-Old, but I don't
know how this works with gnus-unseen-mark.

gnus-cached-mark - No idea.

gnus-saved-mark - No idea. (Hopefully it is triggered when I copy a
message from a folder to another folder.)

Other flags? Distinction between "new" and "unread"? "edited"?
"redistributed"?

Any suggestions as to how to move these flags over would be
appreciated. I figure perl is my best bet? Suggestions of a perl
module that lets me parse mail a message at a time from mbox format,
and mess with headers too, would be great.

JDO