* News server connection not reopening on demon handler
@ 2004-05-10 13:47 Nelson Ferreira
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2004-05-10 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

For some time now I've notice my usual demon-handler for getting news
does not reopen the connection to the news server, which of course
makes it close to useless.

Here is the relevant snippet.
Am I missing some step, should I do it differently now ?
Should I check some variable ?

(require 'gnus-demon)
(setq gnus-demon-timestep 1)
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'njsf-gnus-demon-scan-mail 480 240)
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-update-news 540 480)
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-save-newsrc-file 1800 600)
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-expire-all-groups 86400 10800)
(defun njsf-gnus-demon-scan-mail ()
  (when (gnus-alive-p)
    (save-window-excursion
      (save-excursion
	(set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
	(gnus-group-get-new-news 2)))))
(defun gnus-demon-scan-update-news ()
  (when (gnus-alive-p)
    (save-window-excursion
      (save-excursion
	(set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
	(gnus-group-get-new-news 5)))))
(add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'gnus-demon-init)

Thanks,

        Nelson

--
Nelson Ferreira

* Re: News server connection not reopening on demon handler
@ 2004-05-16 11:37 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-16 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nelson Ferreira <nelson.ferreira@verizon.net> writes:

> For some time now I've notice my usual demon-handler for getting news
> does not reopen the connection to the news server, which of course
> makes it close to useless.

It should do that automatically.  Do you use the Agent, by any
chance?  It might be interfering with the reconnection code,
perhaps...

* Re: News server connection not reopening on demon handler
@ 2004-05-16 12:01   ` Nelson Ferreira
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2004-05-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Lars" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

    Lars> Nelson Ferreira <nelson.ferreira@verizon.net> writes:
    >> For some time now I've notice my usual demon-handler for
    >> getting news does not reopen the connection to the news server,
    >> which of course makes it close to useless.

    Lars> It should do that automatically.  Do you use the Agent, by
    Lars> any chance?  It might be interfering with the reconnection
    Lars> code, perhaps...

I do not "use it" but I was under the impression that now it is the
default. It is always in the plugged state though (I do not see any
reference to Agent in the modeline).

How can I check if I am indeed using the agent, and disable it to
pinpoint if that is the issue ?

Thanks,

        Nelson

[...]

--

       [not found]       ` <m3wu3ctrrg.fsf_-nf--_xmat_-m:gnus_---@tuxie.homelinux.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-16 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nelson Ferreira <nelson.ferreira@verizon.net> writes:

> I do not "use it" but I was under the impression that now it is the
> default. It is always in the plugged state though (I do not see any
> reference to Agent in the modeline).

It always there now, but if you don't do any specific Agent-related
stuff, it shouldn't interfere.

> How can I check if I am indeed using the agent, and disable it to
> pinpoint if that is the issue ?

`(gnus-agent-group-covered-p "some.group")' should say whether Gnus
thinks that the group is covered by the Agent.  You could try running
it from the daemon functions to see whether anything in particular is
happening there...

* Re: News server connection not reopening on demon handler
@ 2004-05-16 13:40       ` Nelson Ferreira
       [not found]       ` <m3wu3ctrrg.fsf_-nf--_xmat_-m:gnus_---@tuxie.homelinux.net>
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2004-05-16 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Lars" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

    Lars> Nelson Ferreira <nelson.ferreira@verizon.net> writes:
    >> I do not "use it" but I was under the impression that now it is
    >> the default. It is always in the plugged state though (I do not
    >> see any reference to Agent in the modeline).

    Lars> It always there now, but if you don't do any specific
    Lars> Agent-related stuff, it shouldn't interfere.

    >> How can I check if I am indeed using the agent, and disable it
    >> to pinpoint if that is the issue ?

    Lars> `(gnus-agent-group-covered-p "some.group")' should say
    Lars> whether Gnus thinks that the group is covered by the Agent.
    Lars> You could try running it from the daemon functions to see
    Lars> whether anything in particular is happening there...

It says "native" both outside and inside the demon function... And now
it works!!!!  Puzzled at what is (was?) happening....  I'll test
without the gnus-agent-group-covered-p in the demon function to see if
the behaviour is different.

--

@ 2004-05-16 14:07         ` Nelson Ferreira
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2004-05-16 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"njsf" == Nelson Ferreira <nelson.ferreira@verizon.net> writes:

    njsf> "Lars" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

[...]

    Lars> `(gnus-agent-group-covered-p "some.group")' should say
    Lars> whether Gnus thinks that the group is covered by the Agent.
    Lars> You could try running it from the daemon functions to see
    Lars> whether anything in particular is happening there...

    njsf> It says "native" both outside and inside the demon
    njsf> function... And now it works!!!!  Puzzled at what is (was?)
    njsf> happening....  I'll test without the
    njsf> gnus-agent-group-covered-p in the demon function to see if
    njsf> the behaviour is different.

Just tested with the demon funtion not calling
gnus-agent-group-covered-p and all works fine. I guess some recent
commit (or some tweak to my config) solved the issue.... If I see it
again I'll report it...

[...]

--
Nelson Ferreira