* gnus-reply-to-function for replying to everybody
@ 1996-03-20  3:33 Roderick Schertler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Roderick Schertler @ 1996-03-20  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I respond to a mail message I practically always want to respond to
everybody who saw it (everybody in the From, To and Cc headers).  I'm
surprised that September doesn't have a built-in way to do this.  Did I
just miss it?  I suspect this is the case because the lack just seems
too bizarre.

If not how about adding a pre-defined function for this the user can set
gnus-reply-to-function to?

(defun gnus-reply-to-everybody (group)
  "Respond to everybody who saw the original message.
This function is meant as a possible value for gnus-reply-to-function
or gnus-followup-to-function."
  (loop for c in `(("To" . ,(or (mail-fetch-field "reply-to")
				(mail-fetch-field "from")))
		   ("cc" . ,(mail-fetch-field "to"))
		   ("cc" . ,(mail-fetch-field "cc")))
	if (cdr c) collect c))

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@gate.net

* Re: gnus-reply-to-function for replying to everybody
@ 1996-03-20  4:45 ` Muhammad Farrukh Khan
From: Muhammad Farrukh Khan @ 1996-03-20  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> When I respond to a mail message I practically always want to respond to
> everybody who saw it (everybody in the From, To and Cc headers).  I'm

Try f or F.

Muhammad Farrukh Khan, khan@cs.purdue.edu

* Re: gnus-reply-to-function for replying to everybody
@ 1996-03-20  4:58 ` d. hall
From: d. hall @ 1996-03-20  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

--
			    ``I needed you more
			  when we wanted us less''

                                ~ bush, glycerine

* Re: gnus-reply-to-function for replying to everybody
@ 1996-03-20  5:31   ` Roderick Schertler
From: Roderick Schertler @ 1996-03-20  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 20 Mar 1996 00:02:00 -0500, khan@cs.purdue.edu (Muhammad Farrukh Khan) said:

>> When I respond to a mail message I practically always want to respond to
>> everybody who saw it (everybody in the From, To and Cc headers).  I'm
>>

> Try f or F.

This isn't appropriate in the general case.  I gateway mailing lists
into actual local newsgroups (rather than reading mail groups in ding)
so that other local users can read them, and maintaining my own
to-address group parameter or the like seems silly when the proper
address is already right there in the To or Cc header.

--

@ 1996-03-20  5:36   ` Roderick Schertler
From: Roderick Schertler @ 1996-03-20  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 20 Mar 1996 00:02:02 -0500, dhall@illusion.apk.net (d. hall) said:

> Uhm, I just did a follow-up and came up with both your name and the ding
> list via the CC.

This is not the behavior I see with a nil gnus-reply-to-function, I get
replies going to the From: address only (it's placed in the To: header,
the cc: header isn't filled in).  Perhaps this is another thing in
gnus-mh.el which needs fixing, I've got gnus-mail-method set to 'mh.

--

@ 1996-03-20  8:49 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-03-20  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Roderick> When I respond to a mail message I practically always want
  Roderick> to respond to everybody who saw it (everybody in the From,
  Roderick> To and Cc headers).  I'm surprised that September doesn't
  Roderick> have a built-in way to do this.  Did I just miss it?  I
  Roderick> suspect this is the case because the lack just seems too
  Roderick> bizarre.

Gnus has `replies' (which go to the sender only) and `follow-ups'
which go to all recipients of a mail or news article.

I did a follow-up (`F') on your article, and you can clearly see that
all recipients are added to the To and Cc headers of this message.

        kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: gnus-reply-to-function for replying to everybody
@ 1996-03-20  8:53     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-03-20  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Muhammad Farrukh Khan, ding

  Roderick> This isn't appropriate in the general case.  I gateway
  Roderick> mailing lists into actual local newsgroups (rather than
  Roderick> reading mail groups in ding) so that other local users can
  Roderick> read them, and maintaining my own to-address group
  Roderick> parameter or the like seems silly when the proper address
  Roderick> is already right there in the To or Cc header.

Well, this is a special case.  `F' works just fine for `real' news
postings and for `real' mail messages, but for news postings that are
really mail messages, you will of course see some strange behavior.  I
suggest actually setting to-list (or was it to-address?) so that
follow-ups are not posted to the news group.

Or you could just ignore the problem and post the follow-ups to the
newsgroup as well as sending them by mail to all recipients.  (The
latter will be done in all cases.)

        kai
--
~/.signature

* Re: gnus-reply-to-function for replying to everybody
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-20 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roderick Schertler <roderick@gate.net> writes:

> This isn't appropriate in the general case.  I gateway mailing lists
> into actual local newsgroups (rather than reading mail groups in ding)
> so that other local users can read them, and maintaining my own
> to-address group parameter or the like seems silly when the proper
> address is already right there in the To or Cc header.

Set `gnus-mailing-list-groups' to match the gatewayed groups.  Then
`f' will give you the appropriate mail group behavior.

* Re: gnus-reply-to-function for replying to everybody
@ 1996-03-20 22:49   ` Roderick Schertler
From: Roderick Schertler @ 1996-03-20 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Mar 1996 05:02:57 -0500, Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@charly.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> said:

> Gnus has `replies' (which go to the sender only) and `follow-ups'
> which go to all recipients of a mail or news article.

Not yet having made the switch to reading any real mail with Gnus I had
still been thinking of the difference between R and F as that of mail vs
news rather than that of private vs public.  Thanks, everybody, for
helping clear this up for me.

Later, Lars wrote:

> Set `gnus-mailing-list-groups' to match the gatewayed groups.  Then
> `f' will give you the appropriate mail group behavior.

Good heavens, man, you've thought of everything.

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@gate.net