* Gnus 5.0 and Grouplens
       [not found] <2388.827425908@dg-rtp.dg.com>
@ 1996-03-22 13:55 ` Brad Miller
From: Brad Miller @ 1996-03-22 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>>>> "Lance" == Lance A Brown <labrown@dg-rtp.dg.com> writes:

Lance> Hi,
Lance> Is there anyone else out there useing Grouplens in Gnus 5.0 or
Lance> September Gnus?  If so I'd like to talk to you about how you are using
Lance> Grouplens and what you think of the contributions I've made.  I keep
Lance> diddling around with displaying the prediction value in different
Lance> ways.
Well, I am using september gnus.

I would be interested in your observations on how the GroupLens
predictions match up against the scores you get from the gnus score
files.

Right now, I think the nicest feature of GroupLens gnus is that I can
read groups using the ',' key to take me to the next highest scored
article.

What I would like to figure out how to do is adjust the scoring somehow
so I can expunge the articles with low predictions < 2 in rec.humor for
example, and see the articles with high predictions plus I'd like to see
all of the articles for which I have no prediction.  The trouble is that
my default score is 0.  Is there any way to tell the expunger to throw
out articles below the expunge threshold unless (= score default-score)?

Lance> Also, when can we expect to see some confidence numbers in the BBB
Lance> output?

As soon as we figure out how to calculate some confidence numbers that
are meaningful. :-)  So far, most of my efforts have been spent on just
getting the whole BBB system stabilized (we seem to be there now).  Over
the next few weeks I plan on spending a lot of time working on and
analyzing the algorithms.

We've collected a LOT of ratings 30,000+ over the last six weeks, so
I've got some good data to work with in trying to improve the current
prediction algorithms, and hopefully get some confidence numbers.

\Brad
Brad Miller                    | e-mail: bmiller@cs.umn.edu
University of Minnesota        | phone:  (612) 626-8396
Department of Computer Science | www:    http://www.cs.umn.edu/~bmiller
EE/CS 5-244                    |
**  Save USENET Try GroupLens: http://www.cs.umn.edu/Research/GroupLens   **

* Re: Gnus 5.0 and Grouplens
@ 1996-03-22 14:43   ` Lance A. Brown
From: Lance A. Brown @ 1996-03-22 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brad Miller <bmiller@cs.umn.edu> writes:

> I would be interested in your observations on how the GroupLens
> predictions match up against the scores you get from the gnus score
> files.

I don't see much correlation right now, but don't think this indicates
anything wrong.  I use the Gnu scoring mechanism to do 2 things
mainly:

1.  Use adapative scoring to push threads I am currently reading to
    the top of the Summary buffer

2.  Use large negative temp scores to force spam and off-topic threads
    to be expunged so I dont' even see them. :-)

I use Grouplens in non-override mode so that I can see both my normal
Gnus score and the Grouplens prediction and find that I am more likely
to pick a low-scored article when it has a high Grouplens prediction
and have found some useful and/or enjoyable threads that way.

> Right now, I think the nicest feature of GroupLens gnus is that I can
> read groups using the ',' key to take me to the next highest scored
> article.

I don't see enough predictions in the groups I read (mostly
comp.os.linux.*) to be able to do this.  Normally only 0% - 10% of the
articles have predictions.

> What I would like to figure out how to do is adjust the scoring somehow
> so I can expunge the articles with low predictions < 2 in rec.humor for
> example, and see the articles with high predictions plus I'd like to see
> all of the articles for which I have no prediction.  The trouble is that
> my default score is 0.  Is there any way to tell the expunger to throw
> out articles below the expunge threshold unless (= score default-score)?

I think this would require another gnus-*-score-by-* function
that can adjust the Gnus score according to its Grouplens prediction
value.

--[Lance]