* Expiration in mail groups & unwanted features
@ 1995-11-01 17:26 Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-01 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marking an article as expirable will cause deletion upon exit from the
*Summary* buffer if the article is more than a week old (assuming
default expiration).

Groups that are indicated to be auto expirable, will have expiration
run irrespective of explicit expiration marks.  This can either be
done via the group parameters, or via gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups.
(I haven't found a use I trust for this feature yet).

I'd also like to see an option to make groups unexpirable, so that
even if articles happen to be marked for expiration, if the group is
unexpirable the mark will be ignored (or signal an error when the mark
is applied).  The lack of such an option could cause massive loss of
archived mail without the usual prompt one gets via B DEL.  As is the
case with Gnus automatically snarfing mail from the system spool, this
option would be nice to run Gnus in paranoid ``I don't trust Gnus''
mode, until trust is earned ...

An immediate non-mail use would be mail groups of saved News articles.
I don't want an automatic expire run ever on such a group, as the
whole point of such groups is to keep the articles around until I have
to remove them due to disk crunch concerns ...

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: Expiration in mail groups & unwanted features
@ 1995-11-06 13:32 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-06 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Steven L. Baur" <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> I'd also like to see an option to make groups unexpirable, so that
> even if articles happen to be marked for expiration, if the group is
> unexpirable the mark will be ignored (or signal an error when the mark
> is applied).

Uhmn... no, I don't think so.  If people mark things as expirable,
then it's on their own heads.  In any case, if people have the wits to
explicitly mark groups as non-expirable, then they have the wits not
to mark articles as expirable unless they mean it.

--
Home is where the cat is.