From: Felix Lee <flee@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: Byte-compiling the line specs
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 1995 17:26:46 -0800	[thread overview]

Ken Raeburn:
> If you turn gc back on, with a decent amount of allocation done (say,
> do it after you've gotten into the gnus Group buffer -- not a freshly
> started emacs), does princ come out on top again?

well, I was going to write a function to monitor garbage production,
but I got distracted into trying to optimize the funcall code.

(conclusion: i486 architecture doesn't have enough registers.  I
managed to get about 10% speedup in funcalls mainly by taking the
fragment that handles subr calls and putting it in a separate
function, which is odd (since subr calls were also sped up).  my
current guess is there's too much register pressure in Ffuncall.)

so, umm, I'll try gc monitoring soon.  but really, the best test is to
write a full-blown format-string compiler and see how it performs in
live cases.