* Use of all.SCORE
@ 1995-11-09 16:09 Steve Baumgarten
From: Steve Baumgarten @ 1995-11-09 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to eliminate all traces of those
idiots who spam the newsgroups I like to read.  Often I can just do a
lower-author-substring-permanent from the summary buffer; that puts an
entry in, for example, rec.games.pinball.SCORE that looks like this:

(("from"
  ("backman@hawaii.edu" -1000 nil s)
 (expunge -1000))

Then from that point on, I never see any postings by the spammer in
rec.games.pinball again -- which is exactly what I want.

However, sometimes these idiots post to a whole lot of groups, and I'd
like to get rid of them everywhere, no matter what group I'm reading.
So I do  "V c" to change to all.SCORE, then "Lasp" as before, to get
an entry in all.SCORE like the above.

But what I find is that if I just have an entry in all.SCORE, when I
generate a new rec.games.pinball summary the articles are marked with
a "-" but are NOT expunged.  (This is different behavior than if the
entry were in rec.games.pinball.SCORE -- where the article is expunged
and so never even shows up in the summary list.)

I see this behavior even if I quit GNUS and restart it; it seems
like only those morons in the rec.games.pinball.SCORE file get
expunged.  (BTW, this is with Gnus 5.0.10 running in emacs 19.29.)

Anyone know why this is happening?  Or, more to the point, is what I'm
doing the best way to eliminate all traces of these morons from all
newsgroups?

Steve Baumgarten
sbb@panix.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~1995-11-09 16:09 UTC | newest]