From: Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: Those groups levels again
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 15:06:55 -0800	[thread overview]

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) wrote:

> And that is possible by combining levels and scores.  (New Gnuspeak
> word -- "rank".  The rank of a group is defined as a combination of
> the level and the score.)

Perhaps a revised glossary of the terms "level", "score" and "rank" as
they apply to Group buffers is in order?

My original thought was that "level" in this context refers to the
accessibility of the server for that group because it is used to decide
whether or not the initial Group buffer queries the server for number of
unread messages on that group.

I think of "score" as being a measure of my current interest in the
contents of the item being scored.  It seems (to me) to be orthogonal to
the concept of "level" in the group buffer.  It also seems (to me) to be
very similar to the concept of scoring in the summary buffer - it just
uses different attributes of the items being scored to decide on the
score.  Having the "score" of the group rise as a function of the number
of entries into that group strikes me as very close conceptually to
adaptive scoring in the summary buffers.

And threads in summary buffers seem very close to "topics" in group
buffers...has anyone written that hierarchical object browser mode for
emacs yet?  Just subclass off of that for a group buffer or for a summary
buffer and away you go...:-))

> I have written no commands for manually changing the score of groups.
> I don't really plan to... unless there's a Violent Uprising Craving
> Group Score Commands of '96!

Take cover!!!! :-)

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org