From: Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: Gnus5, procmail, and reading mail lists.
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 10:46:41 -0800	[thread overview]

Sudish Joseph <joseph@cis.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> If you're using mailagent as your filter, you might consider extending
> mailagent itself to generate your .overview entry.  I played around
> with mailagent recently, and this seems like a simple thing to do --
> most of the hard work is already done by mailagent.

Yeah...I've already got stuff like this:

        ASSIGN list gnu/emacs/ding;
        SAVE +%#list;
        REJECT -t ListUpdate;
    };

    # Update some external files & such
    <ListUpdate> {
        PERL /homes/scott/var/mailagent/ListUpdate %#list;
    };

which all runs in the same perl process.  My plan was to update my
ListUpdate perl script to update NOV files too (right now it just makes
sure that the list is in my ~/Mail/.folders file), but I haven't gotten
around to setting things up to read the mailing lists from ding yet.

BTW, the perl process that does this doesn't happen at sendmail-delivery
time.  With mailagent, my .forward file runs a "filter" program that
basically just drops the message into a queue directory that gets
processed by a different program (i.e. "mailagent") that gets kicked off
by "filter" every so often.  That way the MTA is waiting for "me" to
decide what to do with each & every message.

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org