* separating reading new mail and news
@ 1995-11-29 18:11 Saileshwar Krishnamurthy
From: Saileshwar Krishnamurthy @ 1995-11-29 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

It'll be nice if the fuctions for reading mail and news were
separated instead of one group-get-new-news.

This reduces waiting time while you're waiting for new mail to be
read in.

Cheers
Sailesh
"God is void* in EVERY declaration,
	And all prayers go to /dev/null"

* Re: separating reading new mail and news
@ 1995-11-29 19:49 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-11-29 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

SK> It'll be nice if the fuctions for reading mail and news were
SK> separated instead of one group-get-new-news.

No, just keep your mail groups at a lower level than your news groups.

Each group has a level, from 1-9, indicating its "subscribedness."  A low
level is highly subscribed and a level of 9 is dead as a doornail.

This definition might help too:

gnus-group-get-new-news: an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus'.
(gnus-group-get-new-news &optional ARG)

Get newly arrived articles.
If ARG is a number, it specifies which levels you are interested in
re-scanning.  If ARG is non-nil and not a number, this will force
"hard" re-reading of the active files from all servers.

As you can see, the thing to do is set all your mail groups to level 1,
say, and then do C-u 1 g in the Group buffer.  I've tied this to M-x m, in
order to override the default mail agent, Rmail.  Set levels with S l in
the group buffer.

The default level for subscribed mail and news is 3.

--
Jack Vinson - - -  jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu      Sunderland, MA
<http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/home.html>

* Re: separating reading new mail and news
@ 1995-11-29 21:26   ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1995-11-29 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jack Vinson

jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu (Jack Vinson) said:

SK> It'll be nice if the fuctions for reading mail and news were
SK> separated instead of one group-get-new-news.

JV> No, just keep your mail groups at a lower level than your news
JV> groups.

	This is great, unless you have some news groups (which you don't want
to check) which are normally more important than some mail groups.  What
I do is "F" - gnus-find-new-newsgroups, which causes nnml to read my
procmail-generated spool files in order to discover if there are any new
groups (which, by the way, is a really neat thing - I don't have to
manually create nnml groups, it automagically creates them), then "2 g"
to update the article counts for the high-priority mail groups.  I'm
only guessing that this sequence would empty the mail spool if you are
letting Gnus split your mail for you, though.

--
#include <disclaimer.h>				/* Sten Drescher */
To get my PGP public key, send me email with your public key and