* What happened to gnus-button-url
@ 1995-11-21 13:57 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-11-21 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been using the nice little function gnus-note-url by Frank Cringle
for quite a while with the gnus-button-url.  However, with Sgnus 0.14 the
function does not work and is not even called as the Backtrace tells me
Gnus tried to fire up NetScape.

The use of M-x customize is not clear at all, and this is where
gnus-button-url is defined.  When I got to the field for WWW Browser in the
customize buffer, gnus-note-url is already there.  And whenever I do C-c C-c
I get an error "Make a choice."

--
Jack Vinson                       jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu
Sunderland, MA                    <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/home.html>

* Re: What happened to gnus-button-url
@ 1995-11-22  1:55 ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-22  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jack> I have been using the nice little function gnus-note-url by
    Jack> Frank Cringle for quite a while with the gnus-button-url.
    Jack> However, with Sgnus 0.14 the function does not work and is
    Jack> not even called as the Backtrace tells me Gnus tried to fire
    Jack> up NetScape.

gnus-button-url has now (quietly) become browse-url-browser-function.
It's not mentioned in the ChangeLog, so I don't know whether it's
intentional or not.  This change is unrelated to the patch I submitted
for treatment of the optional X-Url: header (which is also currently
broken).

The customize stuffs have never worked on XEmacs, so I haven't tried
them in quite awhile.  Doing:

(setq browse-url-browser-function (function gnus-lynx-start-url))

out of .gnus works for me (at least for URLs in the body of
messages).

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: What happened to gnus-button-url
@ 1995-11-23 12:36   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-23 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:

> gnus-button-url has now (quietly) become browse-url-browser-function.
> It's not mentioned in the ChangeLog, so I don't know whether it's
> intentional or not.

It is intentional; I just forgot to add a ChangeLog entry.

> This change is unrelated to the patch I submitted for treatment of
> the optional X-Url: header (which is also currently broken).

In what way?

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: What happened to gnus-button-url
@ 1995-11-24 19:40     ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-24 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Steve> gnus-button-url has now (quietly) become
    Steve> browse-url-browser-function.  It's not mentioned in the
    Steve> ChangeLog, so I don't know whether it's intentional or not.

    Lars> It is intentional; I just forgot to add a ChangeLog entry.

O.K.

    Steve> This change is unrelated to the patch I submitted for
    Steve> treatment of the optional X-Url: header (which is also
    Steve> currently broken).

    Lars> In what way?

It signals void function browse-url-browser-function when invoked.
Also the notation ``,gnus-button-url-regexp'' appearing in
gnus-button-alist and gnus-header-button-alist should not work either.

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: What happened to gnus-button-url
@ 1995-11-28 20:51   ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-11-28 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

SLB> gnus-button-url has now (quietly) become browse-url-browser-function.
SLB> It's not mentioned in the ChangeLog, so I don't know whether it's
SLB> intentional or not.  This change is unrelated to the patch I submitted
SLB> for treatment of the optional X-Url: header (which is also currently
SLB> broken).

Okay, I've set browse-url-browser-function to my favorite URL browser and
it is still trying to fire up netscape.  I get this message in the
minibuffer:

Searching for program: no such file or directory, netscape

Here are my url settings.  What else do I need to do?

(setq gnus-button-url 'Other)
(setq browse-url-browser-function 'gnus-note-url)

--
Jonathan "Jack" Vinson       jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu
Sunderland, MA               <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/home.html>

* Re: What happened to gnus-button-url
@ 1995-11-29  2:08     ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-29  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

    SLB> gnus-button-url has now (quietly) become
    SLB> browse-url-browser-function.

    Jack> Okay, I've set browse-url-browser-function to my favorite
    Jack> URL browser and it is still trying to fire up netscape.  I
    Jack> get this message in the minibuffer:

    Jack> Searching for program: no such file or directory, netscape

    Jack> Here are my url settings.  What else do I need to do?

    (setq gnus-button-url 'Other)
    (setq browse-url-browser-function 'gnus-note-url)

gnus-button-url is only used now in gnus-cus.el.

Do you set your variables before or after gnus-cus is loaded?  Perhaps
order of loading is important here.

For referenece, here is what I do in my .sgnus:

(require 'gnus-cus)
(setq browse-url-browser-function (function gnus-lynx-start-url))
(require 'browse-url)

This works.  Lynx is brought up whenever I click on a URL except
if I'm in MIME view mode.  (I assume that's a tm-view bug).

Regards,
--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: What happened to gnus-button-url
@ 1995-11-29 14:26       ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-11-29 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

SLB> Do you set your variables before or after gnus-cus is loaded?  Perhaps
SLB> order of loading is important here.

Ugh!  Now things seem to be working.  I had to quit Gnus and start over for
this to work properly though.  I wonder if I need to set gnus-button-url at
all now?

Wasn't this a complaint that was lodged back in the *ding* days by someone?
That some variable changes were not effective immediately.  I would like to
see variables like this (browse-url-browser-function) take effect
immediately, since I might want to change from Lynx to Netscape to Mosaic
and back again all in one session.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-29 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu (Jack Vinson) writes:

> Ugh!  Now things seem to be working.  I had to quit Gnus and start over for
> this to work properly though.  I wonder if I need to set gnus-button-url at
> all now?

No, that variable is never used, I think.

> Wasn't this a complaint that was lodged back in the *ding* days by someone?
> That some variable changes were not effective immediately.  I would like to
> see variables like this (browse-url-browser-function) take effect
> immediately, since I might want to change from Lynx to Netscape to Mosaic
> and back again all in one session.

Ah.  Yes.

(defvar gnus-button-alist
  `(...
    ("<URL:\\([^\n\r>]*\\)>" 0 t ,browse-url-browser-function 1)
    ...))

Which means that this variable is set to whatever
`browse-url-browser-function' is at load time.  This is probably not a
good idea.  I'll fix it in 0.17.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: What happened to gnus-button-url
@ 1995-11-29 21:38       ` 守岡 知彦 / MORIOKA Tomohiko
From: 守岡 知彦 / MORIOKA Tomohiko @ 1995-11-29 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> This works.  Lynx is brought up whenever I click on a URL except
>> if I'm in MIME view mode.  (I assume that's a tm-view bug).

  I think it is bug of document. (^_^;

  Current tm-view (tm 7.*) uses variable
`browse-url-browser-function'. So please set it.

  Following is my setting:

(autoload browse-url-browser-function "browse-url"
  "Ask a WWW browser to show a URL." t)
(setq browse-url-browser-function
      (if (eq window-system 'x)
	  'browse-url-netscape
	'browse-url-w3))

Morioka Tomohiko <morioka@jaist.ac.jp>
(`Morioka' is my family name, `Tomohiko' is my personal name.)
------- I protest resumption of French and Chinese nuclear testing.---

* Re: What happened to gnus-button-url
@ 1995-11-29 22:12         ` 守岡 知彦 / MORIOKA Tomohiko
From: 守岡 知彦 / MORIOKA Tomohiko @ 1995-11-29 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steven L. Baur, ding

Tomo>   Following is my setting:

Tomo> (autoload browse-url-browser-function "browse-url"
Tomo>   "Ask a WWW browser to show a URL." t)
Tomo> (setq browse-url-browser-function
Tomo>       (if (eq window-system 'x)
Tomo> 	  'browse-url-netscape
Tomo> 	'browse-url-w3))

  Sorry, this is not right. Following is correct: