* signatures??
@ 1995-12-10  0:01 John Perry
From: John Perry @ 1995-12-10  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: signatures??
@ 1995-12-10  1:01 ` Roger Williams
From: Roger Williams @ 1995-12-10  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  > ... I want to set up ding so that when I create or reply
  > to an article, my signature is included in the original draft...

(add-hook 'gnus-post-prepare-hook 'gnus-inews-insert-signature)
(setq gnus-signature-file "/news/.signature")

...or whatever.  (I think that this is default behaviour in sgnus.)

--
Roger Williams            PGP key available from PGP public keyservers
Coelacanth Engineering        consulting & turnkey product development

* Re: signatures??
@ 1995-12-10  1:42   ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-12-10  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: signatures??
@ 1995-12-10 14:00     ` John Perry
From: John Perry @ 1995-12-10 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* Re: signatures??
@ 1995-12-10 15:32     ` John Perry
From: John Perry @ 1995-12-10 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Steven> (setq mail-signature "\n-- \nsteve@miranova.com baur")

    Steven> This method works with Mail and News, and XEmacs and
    Steven> Emacs.

	Your method shows how to insert text in the draft buffer
rather than being appended when the article is sent. I was hoping to
have the contents of my ~/.signature file inserted into the draft
buffer at the time I'm creating the message rather than have it
appended at the time it' sent. the excerpt from the info page below
shows how to do this but I can't seem to get it to work. Maybe the
syntax I'm using is wrong or something. In other words, I can't seem
to get my ~/.signature included in the original draft by setting
mail-signature to t. Any comments?

     `gnus-signature-file', which is a bit confusing.  If
     `mail-signature' is `t', it will insert `~/.signature'.  If it is a
     string, this string will be inserted.

 John Perry - KG5RG - perry@vishnu.alias.net -  PGP-encrypted e-mail welcome!
 Packet Radio - KG5RG@WA4IMZ.#SETX.TX.USA.NA
 WWW - http://www.alias.net
 PGP 2.62 key for perry@vishnu.alias.net is on the keyservers.

* Re: signatures??
@ 1995-12-10 22:43       ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-12-10 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Steven> (setq mail-signature "\n-- \nsteve@miranova.com baur")

    Steven> This method works with Mail and News, and XEmacs and
    Steven> Emacs.

    John> Can you set mail-signature to a filename rather than a
    John> string? I tried to set it to a filename and that's what
    John> seems to not have worked. Maybe my syntax was wrong.

Nope.  If you want mail-signature to insert a file, you do
(setq mail-signature t)
(setq mail-signature-file "~/.your-signature-file")

mail-signature-file defaults to "~/.signature".

A (silly) portability issue exists between XEmacs and Emacs if you use
this mechanism.  One (Emacs) inserts the "-- " and the other (XEmacs)
doesn't.  :-(.

You always want to have a standard "-- " before a .signature so that
smart readers like Gnus can hide them if desired.
--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: signatures??
@ 1995-12-10 23:08       ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-12-10 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm totally confused now as to what you were asking for.

    Steven> (setq mail-signature "\n-- \nsteve@miranova.com baur")

    Steven> This method works with Mail and News, and XEmacs and
    Steven> Emacs.

    John> 	Your method shows how to insert text in the draft
    John> buffer rather than being appended when the article is
    John> sent. I was hoping to have the contents of my ~/.signature
    John> file inserted into the draft buffer at the time I'm creating
    John> the message rather than have it appended at the time it'
    John> sent.

I read your original request as wanting a mechanism to have the
.signature included prior to editing so that a PGP signature would
*include* the .signature.

I personally tend to shy away from automatic signature insertion for
two reasons:  It can be bloody difficult to turn off, it's too easy to
get doubled signatures.

My original response, while based on recent experience with September
Gnus should also work with Gnus 5 due to using only Emacs constructs.

    John> the excerpt from the info page below shows how to do
    John> this but I can't seem to get it to work. Maybe the syntax
    John> I'm using is wrong or something. In other words, I can't
    John> seem to get my ~/.signature included in the original draft
    John> by setting mail-signature to t. Any comments?

If the major mode that you edit mail messages in is not Mail, then all
bets are off.

    John>      `gnus-signature-file', which is a bit confusing.  If
    John> `mail-signature' is `t', it will insert `~/.signature'.  If
    John> it is a string, this string will be inserted.

If you're using mh-e, it uses mh-signature-file-name instead.

A lot of stress and confusion could be reduced if Gnus had a single
unified post/mail compose mode.
--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: signatures??
@ 1995-12-11  2:07         ` Roger Williams
From: Roger Williams @ 1995-12-11  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Steve> (setq mail-signature "\n-- \nsteve@miranova.com baur")

  Steve> A lot of stress and confusion could be reduced if Gnus had a single
  Steve> unified post/mail compose mode.

Hmm, I *guess* so.  I sorta like the "add-hook 'gnus-post-prepare-hook"
approach, though, as it lets me use different signatures and/or
variable signature insertion methods (e.g. fortune cookies) for mail
and news (for that matter, for different newsfroups).

But anything to clear the water is probably welcome.