* Logo on startup
@ 1995-12-14 10:20 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-14 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

XEmacs users will be shocked & amazed with September 0.22 (if they get
and install the new etc-0.2.tar.gz package) -- I've finally included
the logo on the splash screen.  This is the early draft of the logo,
but I thought y'all would like to see it for a while...  It's a bit
longish, though.  :-)

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Logo on startup
@ 1995-12-14 21:05 ` Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1995-12-14 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> XEmacs users will be shocked & amazed with September 0.22
                           ^^^^^^^
Yes!

It's nice, but, but

/* XPM */
static char *gnus[] = {
/* width height num_colors chars_per_pixel */
"   288   308      182            2",

182 colors?! Any chance you could trim it down to say, a dozen? I
doubt many will be willing to sacrifice their colormap for a few
seconds of glory. :-).

  -mb-

P.S> My experience is based on the following display, which I don't
P.S> think is too far out of the norm.

$ xdpyinfo
name of display:    hpx06:0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    Hewlett-Packard Company
vendor release number:    507000
maximum request size:  262140 bytes
motion buffer size:  100
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    2
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 16, maximum 141
focus:  window 0x2800002, revert to Parent
number of extensions:    6
    HPExtension
    HPXTExtension
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    SHAPE
    XInputExtension
    XTestExtension1
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1152x900 pixels (301x235 millimeters)
  resolution:    97x97 dots per inch
  depths (2):    1, 8
  root window id:    0x24
  depth of root window:    8 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x21
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 1
  largest cursor:    unlimited
  current input event mask:    0x58003d
    KeyPressMask             ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask
    EnterWindowMask          LeaveWindowMask          SubstructureNotifyMask
    SubstructureRedirectMask PropertyChangeMask
  number of visuals:    1
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    256
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
$

* Re: Logo on startup
@ 1995-12-14 22:06   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1995-12-14 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

mdb@cdc.noaa.gov (Mark Borges) writes:

|> 182 colors?! Any chance you could trim it down to say, a dozen? I
|> doubt many will be willing to sacrifice their colormap for a few
|> seconds of glory. :-).

Ack...   So THATS what ate all my colors.  I was wondering which
application did that.

I can't wait for Lars' 30 second animation...  I'll bet its pretty too ;->

What would be even better than just quantizing it would be to map it
to colors in the picons database.  Not only will all the picons
database icons use the same colors, the picons color map was chosen
such that they should be standard colors in most X-server's default
color map.

Wes
(think I've written enough messages today yet?)

* Re: Logo on startup
@ 1995-12-15 19:14   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-15 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

mdb@cdc.noaa.gov (Mark Borges) writes:

> It's nice, but, but
>
> /* XPM */
> static char *gnus[] = {
> /* width height num_colors chars_per_pixel */
> "   288   308      182            2",
>
> 182 colors?! Any chance you could trim it down to say, a dozen?

I think the "real" version of the logo will have just two colors.
This one is an early sketch (from Luis) that I though was rather
beautiful, so I just dropped it in there for the time being.

Can one have glyphs in the mode line, by the way?  I'd like to have a
tiny Gnus logo there...

(In other late breaking news:  The Gnus manual is being translated
into Japanese.  I don't think anybody has ever translated anything
I've written before...  It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy all
over...  Or perhaps that's just this woolen sweater I'm wearing.)

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Logo on startup
@ 1995-12-15 21:02     ` Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1995-12-15 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

    LMI> mdb@cdc.noaa.gov (Mark Borges) writes:
    >> It's nice, but, but
    >>
    >> /* XPM */
    >> static char *gnus[] = {
    >> /* width height num_colors chars_per_pixel */
    >> "   288   308      182            2",
    >>
    >> 182 colors?! Any chance you could trim it down to say, a dozen?

    LMI> I think the "real" version of the logo will have just two
    LMI> colors.  This one is an early sketch (from Luis) that I
    LMI> though was rather beautiful, so I just dropped it in there
    LMI> for the time being.
By the way: it's nice, but what does it actually display?

    LMI> Can one have glyphs in the mode line, by the way?  I'd like
    LMI> to have a tiny Gnus logo there...
Nope. But you could add it to the toolbar at the very right side,
e.g. as a button that would bring you straight into the info pages...