* feature request: special header indicating whether "courtesy-copy" is desired
@ 1996-01-15  9:25 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-01-15  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

How often have you seen things like:
 ``Please CC: me since I don't read this group'' ?

Or followed up to an article in this mailing list, only to wonder if the
author read the list via mail or infrequently via the archives?

Shouldn't Gnus know whether to Cc: the author or not automatically?

Of course it wouldn't work for anyone else, but it would be harmless and if it
interfaced properly with the courtesy-copy header stuff then it might be
picked up by other newsreaders.

I think the header should answer the question of whether or not to add the
From: address to the Cc: and To: addresses since without kind of widespread
support the references header has (?) anything more ambitios is likely to
fail.

--
greg

* Re: feature request: special header indicating whether "courtesy-copy" is desired
@ 1996-01-15 16:25 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-01-15 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars has proposed a

	Send-Courtesy-Copy: (yes/no)

which the sender can use to indicate whether he wants to receive CC's
of followups to the message ot not.

There is work going on for making it official, so other newsreaders
will obey it too.

* Re: feature request: special header indicating whether "courtesy-copy" is desired
@ 1996-01-15 23:17   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-15 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Lars has proposed a
>
> 	Send-Courtesy-Copy: (yes/no)
>
> which the sender can use to indicate whether he wants to receive CC's
> of followups to the message ot not.

> There is work going on for making it official, so other newsreaders
> will obey it too.

September Gnus has (silently) obeyed a header that I called
`Mail-Copies-To' (subject to change when/if people agree on what it's
supposed to be called).  If you put a

in the header of the mail you send to this mailing list, for instance,
you can be pretty sure to never get duplicate responses to your mail.
(Most people on this list seem to use Gnus for reading/posting to it.)

You can, of course, use this trick even if you're not using Gnus to
read mail -- the only requirement is that the person who follows up
uses September Gnus.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: feature request: special header indicating whether "courtesy-copy" is desired
@ 1996-01-18 17:51     ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1996-01-18 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
> Lars has proposed a
>
> 	Send-Courtesy-Copy: (yes/no)
>
> which the sender can use to indicate whether he wants to receive CC's
> of followups to the message ot not.
>
> There is work going on for making it official, so other newsreaders
> will obey it too.

Wait, is this in addition to or as a replacement for the `Mail-Copies-To'
header that Gnus already supports? The latter seems more powerful as you can
specify an e-mail address, possibly multiple e-mail addresses, other than the
`From' address that one is posting from. Though I agree that this
`Send-Courtesy-Copy' header might arguably have better semantics.

Later,
Ed
(Still stuck with Emacs 19.28 because of my lame sys admins...)