* User defined digest types in Gnus
@ 1996-03-04 15:10 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-03-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is some weird format digests in `rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon-5.info'
that I would like to split.  I don't think Gnus should support these
by default, as they are probably only of interest to Babylon 5 fans.

For situations like this, it would be nice if there was a well
documented way to add new digest types to Gnus.

`nndoc-type-alist' almost provides this, with two exceptions:

1) It should be documented (although it seems pretty straight-forward).

2) Each digest type description should contain a function that returns
non-nil if the current buffer is a digest of that type.  This would
avoid the hard-coding of the digest types in `nndoc-guess-digest-type'.

* Re: User defined digest types in Gnus
@ 1996-03-04 19:38 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-04 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

abraham@dina.kvl.dk (Per Abrahamsen) writes:

> For situations like this, it would be nice if there was a well
> documented way to add new digest types to Gnus.
>
> `nndoc-type-alist' almost provides this, with two exceptions:
>
> 1) It should be documented (although it seems pretty straight-forward).
>
> 2) Each digest type description should contain a function that returns
> non-nil if the current buffer is a digest of that type.  This would
> avoid the hard-coding of the digest types in `nndoc-guess-digest-type'.

Yup.  I've now added this to the Red Gnus todo list.

* Re: User defined digest types in Gnus
@ 1996-03-04 20:24 ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1996-03-04 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (04-Mar-96) User defined digest types in Gnus by Per Abrahamsen
> There is some weird format digests in `rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon-5.info'
> that I would like to split. I don't think Gnus should support these by
> default, as they are probably only of interest to Babylon 5 fans.

Yeah, I've come across non-standard digest formats fairly often myself. In
the past, I've usually ended up modifying the source code...

> For situations like this, it would be nice if there was a well
> documented way to add new digest types to Gnus.
>
> `nndoc-type-alist' almost provides this, with two exceptions:
>
> 1) It should be documented (although it seems pretty straight-forward).
>
> 2) Each digest type description should contain a function that returns
> non-nil if the current buffer is a digest of that type. This would avoid
> the hard-coding of the digest types in `nndoc-guess-digest-type'.

Wow, this is a great idea and long overdue. Maybe we can classify this as a
bug and sneak it into September Gnus rather than waiting for Red?

Later,
Ed