The following small snippet of emacs-lisp creates an asynch process via popclient (by Carl Harris) to allow POP3 auth. I have a synchronous (open-network-stream) emacs-lisp function in the works for people who don't have popclient available, unfortunately I don't have any specifications for the POP3 protocal, so I've just been emulating popclient's reactions. A couple notes: Yes, I copied ange-ftp's password function (I still think a password function should be a intrinsic byte-compiled emacs function which "secures" the X server) since I'm going to add a secure to the function. I'm still trying to decipher's ange-ftp's ability to cache the password while keeping it "directly" unreadable. For an example I have as my retrieve-error-hook (add-hook 'retrieve-error-hook 'retrieve-message-error) (defun retrieve-message-error () (message "Houston, we have a problem.") (wav-fx-play "houston.wav" 0.5))