* nnvirtual not working with September 0.51 / XEmacs 19.14b14
@ 1996-03-11 13:27 Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]
From: Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] @ 1996-03-11 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I'm not sure this is an sgnus bug at all.  I'm running XEmacs
19.14b14, and nnvirtual is broken in some ways:

I have an nnvirtual group combining an nnml group and an nntp group.

First of all, fetching the article headers takes *forever*, usually
(with more than 20 articles) on the order of several minutes.
Interrupting that usually gives me a backtrace like this:

re-search-forward("[^ ]+:[0-9]+" ... t)
nnvirtual-retrieve-headers(...)
gnus-retrieve-headers

Also, if one specific article is present in the headers, I only get to
see that single article in the summary buffer.  The summary header
looks like this:

E -[   9:  invalid opcode     ] Re: identd for FreeBSD 2.1R?
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           Note

The article header is this:

From: Chris Dabrowski <chrisd@demon.net>
Subject: Compiling BIND 4.9.3 on FreeBSD 2.1R
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc: chrisd@demon.net
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 11:54:26 +0000 (GMT)

When I read the nnml group by itself, the header shows up correctly:

E  [  61:  Chris Dabrowski    ] Compiling BIND 4.9.3 on FreeBSD 2.1R

Oh, I'm running tm 7.47 and bbdb 1.50 also.  I realize the problem may
be with any of the components of my system, but maybe some has seen
them, too.

They've been present in a previous version of tm, and with sgnus since
about 0.36 and earlier betas of XEmacs, too.  I'm not sure they were
introduces with a news sgnus release or another beta---both come out
quite frequently.

Can anyone make something of this?  I don't even know where to begin
looking.  Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Cheers =8-} Chipsy

* Re: nnvirtual not working with September 0.51 / XEmacs 19.14b14
@ 1996-03-12  7:16 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-03-12  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael> Hi there,
Michael> I'm not sure this is an sgnus bug at all.  I'm running XEmacs
Michael> 19.14b14, and nnvirtual is broken in some ways:

nnvirtual brokenness includes XEmacs 19.13 also.

Michael> I have an nnvirtual group combining an nnml group and an nntp
Michael> group.

Michael> First of all, fetching the article headers takes *forever*, usually
Michael> (with more than 20 articles) on the order of several minutes.

I've found this to be sort of an on-again off-again sort of thing.  A
versions back nnvirtual was working as smoothly as it ever had.  Now
it takes forever (>15 minutes) to load the nnvirtual group I have, no
matter what the unread article counts are in the component groups.  I
have successfully loaded nnvirtual groups of up to around 2000
articles in the past.

Here is a list of what else doesn't appear to work:
M-g is broken.  With previous behavior, one could read one of the
nnvirtual component groups, then move the cursor to the nnvirtual
group and hit M-g and the article count would be reduced by the number
of articles read in the component group.  This is not true now.

Nnvirtual component groups get articles with strange markings.  I am
entering component groups of an nnvirtual group that have articles
marked ``!''.  This is a difficult one to track down since I never
mark articles in those groups and the behavior does have any
regularity that I could determine.  It may be related to doing M-g,
which is the only operation other than G E that I can reasonably do
with nnvirtual groups right now.

Both of these two problems have arisen relatively recently.

I too have noticed wildly variant header loading times, and the only
thing I can think of is that it has something to do with crossposted
articles among the component groups.  I have not been able to quantify
it in a reasonable fashion though.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: nnvirtual not working with September 0.51 / XEmacs 19.14b14
@ 1996-03-12 13:51   ` Steve Baumgarten
From: Steve Baumgarten @ 1996-03-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L. Baur writes:

   Michael> First of all, fetching the article headers takes *forever*, usually
   Michael> (with more than 20 articles) on the order of several minutes.

   I've found this to be sort of an on-again off-again sort of thing.  A
   versions back nnvirtual was working as smoothly as it ever had.  Now
   it takes forever (>15 minutes) to load the nnvirtual group I have, no
   matter what the unread article counts are in the component groups.  I
   have successfully loaded nnvirtual groups of up to around 2000
   articles in the past.

I should have reported this some time ago, but I guess now is better
than never.  I, too, have had similar problems, with an nnvirtual
group that worked smoothly in Gnus 5.0.13 and I believe in earlier
versions of sgnus; now, however, I've had to delete it because of
incredibly lengthy "Checking new news..." times.  (The group in
question had about a half-dozen newsgroups in it; the underlying
groups had some ticked and/or cached articles and often have several
cross-postings.)

   Here is a list of what else doesn't appear to work:
   M-g is broken.  With previous behavior, one could read one of the
   nnvirtual component groups, then move the cursor to the nnvirtual
   group and hit M-g and the article count would be reduced by the number
   of articles read in the component group.  This is not true now.

Agreed.  I've seen exactly this behavior.

Sorry I wasn't able to track this down more precisely, or report it
sooner...

Steve Baumgarten
sbb@panix.com