From: jdp@cam-orl.co.uk (John Porter)
Subject: Jumping to a group and article
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 15:04:48 GMT	[thread overview]

I have a simple hyperlink package which allows me to
create links to various types of objects, such as info
nodes, URLS and files.  Combined with article caching this
is quite a nice interface for maintaining links to
interesting articles.

eg.
 <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/> or
 <file:/ftp.ifi.uio.no:/pub/emacs/gnus>.

However, currently there doesn't seem to be a way to jump
to a specified article in a named group.  I have a hacked
routine which sort of works, but has a few problems.

(defun gnus-group-fetch-article (group article)
  "Start Gnus if necessary, enter GROUP and fetch article"
  (interactive "sGroup name: \nnArticle number: ")
  (or (and (boundp 'gnus-group-buffer) (get-buffer gnus-group-buffer))
      (gnus))
  (let ((gnus-large-newsgroup 1000))
    (gnus-group-read-group t t group)
    (if article
	(gnus-summary-goto-article article)
	)))

This doesn't work if the group is already opened and if
there are a large number of available articles to read.

Am I missing an available routine ? If not, could this be
added to the feature list ?

--

John Porter
Olivetti Research Lab,			email: jporter@cam-orl.co.uk