* custom in 5.2
@ 1996-05-30  2:32 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-30  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've now fiddled with it some, and it should now work under XEmacs
19.14.  Could all youse XEmacs beta testers try it and see whether it
actually works?

I've also modified it to never ever use `modify-face'.  When running
Emacs under X on an SGI Indy, initial `modify-face' calls took ~3 sec
each.  So I've done the `make-face-bold' (etc) thing "manually".  Let
me know whether this makes the fonts look odd or something.

And while I'm typing:  Just what is XEmacs 20.0?  In what way does it
differ from XEmacs 19.14?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: custom in 5.2
@ 1996-05-30  3:13 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-30  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars> I've now fiddled with it some, and it should now work under XEmacs
Lars> 19.14.  Could all youse XEmacs beta testers try it and see whether it
Lars> actually works?

Gladly.

Lars> I've also modified it to never ever use `modify-face'.  When running
Lars> Emacs under X on an SGI Indy, initial `modify-face' calls took ~3 sec
Lars> each.  So I've done the `make-face-bold' (etc) thing "manually".  Let
Lars> me know whether this makes the fonts look odd or something.

Lars> And while I'm typing:  Just what is XEmacs 20.0?  In what way does it
Lars> differ from XEmacs 19.14?

(From the new XEmacs FAQ:)

Subject: Q1.3.1 What is the status of XEmacs v20?

   XEmacs v20 is the version of XEmacs that includes MULE
   (Asian-language) support. It's currently in beta and we have no
   release date set. When compiled without MULE support 20.0 is currently
   very similar to 19.14 (except for some changes to the byte-code
   format, some new primitive types including char, char-table, and
   range-table) and equally stable.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
GNU Emacs 19.31.2 (i486-unknown-linux, X toolkit) of Tue May 28 1996 on deanna.miranova.com

* Re: custom in 5.2
@ 1996-05-30  4:14 ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-05-30  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> I've now fiddled with it some, and it should now work under XEmacs
> 19.14.  Could all youse XEmacs beta testers try it and see whether it
> actually works?

  I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

> I've also modified it to never ever use `modify-face'.  When running
> Emacs under X on an SGI Indy, initial `modify-face' calls took ~3 sec
> each.  So I've done the `make-face-bold' (etc) thing "manually".  Let
> me know whether this makes the fonts look odd or something.
>
> And while I'm typing:  Just what is XEmacs 20.0?  In what way does it
> differ from XEmacs 19.14?

  20.0 is mainly MULE stuff, with a few other things (characters as their
own type, some byte-code changes). I think it is slated for more
'experimental' things as well - new lisp level things (lexical scope,
etc.).  I am not sure what my DLL stuff is going to go in - probably not
19.15, unless I get it pretty solid pretty quick . :)

-BIll P.