* miscellaneous Gnus problems/questions
@ 1996-06-12  4:11 Joe Wells
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Joe Wells @ 1996-06-12  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU Emacs 19.31.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.4, X toolkit) of Wed Jun  5 1996 on csb
Gnus v5.1; nntp 4.0; nnml 1.0; nnmh 1.0; nndir 1.0; nndoc 1.0

This is a list of random assorted problems with Gnus and questions about
Gnus.  I am using the version of Gnus that comes with the latest Emacs, so
these may be known and/or fixed already.

1.  In the summary buffer, "X v u" seems to be refetching the article even
    if it is already in the article buffer.  Why?

2.  Using "o" on a pseudo-article in an attempt to save it doesn't seem to
    work.  I could use "X U" on the original article, but this downloads
    the article from the news server and runs uudecode on it again,
    wasting a lot of time.  I can also switch to the temporary directory
    and copy the file using the shell, but this is also time-consuming.

3.  It would be nice if there were an option to create the pseudo-article
    in the summary *AND* to immediately view it.

4.  What does the name "eething" mean?  Why "ee"?

5.  In summary, "I ?" splits the windows really funny.  Pressing C-g to abort
    does not clean up window split.  Only proceeding all the way through
    cleans up the windows.

6.  The help text for "I a ?" lists match types that are not legal in
    combination with "a".  It also has a duplicate description for match
    type "r".

7.  For an "eval" keyword in a score file, how often is the form evaluated?
    Once per entering into the group?  Before or after the group select
    hook?  This needs some documentation.

8.  The "P" command at beginning of buffer does not work in a group read via
    the "nndir" back end which uses a directory reached via ange-ftp.
    This is because it calls gnus-read-header which eventually ends up
    calling insert-file-contents-literally which disables ange-ftp.  I
    encountered this problem reading:

      nndir+/ftp@ftp.hpc.uh.edu:/pub/emacs/ding-list-recent/:ding.recent

9.  nnmail-request-post-buffer ignores its follow-to argument if its post
    argument is non-nil.  This happens when using the "a" command in a
    mail group.  This prevents the user's setting of
    gnus-followup-to-function from having any effect for mail groups.  The
    same problem also seems to occur with nndir groups.

    (Yes, I know that I can get the desired result by setting a group
    parameter.  This is what I have done.)

10. In the summary buffer, if you use "x" then "T T", the removed article
    lines come back.

12. nnmail-split-it adds "\\<" and "\\>" around the patterns the user
    supplies in nnmail-split-fancy.  This breaks any patterns which don't
    begin and end at word boundaries.  This is undocumented.  It would be
    nice if this was optional.

13. "*" has word syntax in the article buffer.  This interacts with the
    use of nnmail-split-fancy.  This needs to be documented, because it
    can cause very confusing results.

14. It would be nice if threading did not use garbage subjects like
    "(none)", "hi", or "hello".  Is there a garbage-subject regexp which I
    can set to tell the threading to ignore those subjects?

15. A bug in nnmail-split it: "\\>\\)" should be "\\)\\>".

16. Editing a SCORE file directly doesn't get noticed.  What does one have
    to do to get the changes noticed by Gnus?

17. gnus-followup-to-function can be called with a argument of nil when
    the "a" command is used in the group buffer.  This should be
    documented.  Even better, use the group whose line point is on.

18. I have noticed when reading the group

      nndir+/ftp@ftp.hpc.uh.edu:/pub/emacs/ding-list-recent/:ding.recent

    that some of the read marks often get lost when I revisit the group.
    I can't figure out why this is happening.

--
Joe Wells <jbw@cs.bu.edu>