* Re: ange-ftp caching problems for remote nndir groups
@ 1996-06-27 19:20 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-27 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, ange-ftp-lovers%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

Andy Norman <ange@hplb.hpl.hp.com> writes:

> Call ange-ftp-re-read-dir on the given directory if it is an ange-ftp
> filename.  That will nuke ange-ftp's cache of that directory.

What is the canonical way to check whether a given filename is an
ange-ftp filename or not?  I can think of some heuristics to use, but
is there a fail-safe method?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: ange-ftp caching problems for remote nndir groups
@ 1996-06-27 20:55 ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-06-27 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andy Norman, ding, ange-ftp-lovers%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
>Andy Norman <ange@hplb.hpl.hp.com> writes:
>
>> Call ange-ftp-re-read-dir on the given directory if it is an ange-ftp
>> filename.  That will nuke ange-ftp's cache of that directory.
>
>What is the canonical way to check whether a given filename is an
>ange-ftp filename or not?  I can think of some heuristics to use, but
>is there a fail-safe method?

  Calling it on a non-ange-ftp path doesn't do any harm, at least in XEmacs
19.14, so I would say just do it regardless (if ange-ftp is loaded of
course).  What is the equivalent for EFS?

-Bill P.

* Re: ange-ftp caching problems for remote nndir groups
@ 1996-06-27 23:40 ` Andy Norman
From: Andy Norman @ 1996-06-27 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, ange-ftp-lovers%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

Lars writes:

> What is the canonical way to check whether a given filename is an
> ange-ftp filename or not?  I can think of some heuristics to use, but
> is there a fail-safe method?

Something yukky like:

(defun remote-filename-p (path)
  (if (boundp 'ange-ftp-path-format)
      (save-match-data
	(string-match (car ange-ftp-path-format) path))
    (if (boundp 'efs-path-regexp)
	(save-match-data
	  (string-match efs-path-regexp path)))))

or some similar variant might work OK.
					-- ange -- <><

					ange@hplb.hpl.hp.com

* Re: ange-ftp caching problems for remote nndir groups
@ 1996-06-27 23:41   ` Andy Norman
From: Andy Norman @ 1996-06-27 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding, ange-ftp-lovers%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

Bill writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
>> Andy Norman <ange@hplb.hpl.hp.com> writes:
>>
>>> Call ange-ftp-re-read-dir on the given directory if it is an ange-ftp
>>> filename.  That will nuke ange-ftp's cache of that directory.
>>
>> What is the canonical way to check whether a given filename is an
>> ange-ftp filename or not?  I can think of some heuristics to use, but
>> is there a fail-safe method?

>   Calling it on a non-ange-ftp path doesn't do any harm, at least in XEmacs
> 19.14, so I would say just do it regardless (if ange-ftp is loaded of
> course).  What is the equivalent for EFS?

efs-re-read-dir.

					-- ange -- <><

					ange@hplb.hpl.hp.com

* Re: ange-ftp caching problems for remote nndir groups
@ 1996-06-28 11:30   ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1996-06-28 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andy Norman, ange-ftp-lovers%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

William Perry <wmperry@monolith.spry.com> writes:
>   Calling it on a non-ange-ftp path doesn't do any harm, at least in XEmacs
> 19.14, so I would say just do it regardless (if ange-ftp is loaded of
> course).

Hmm, isn't ange-ftp always loaded?  On my emacs-19.31/linux, if I try
to expand an absolute filename, ange-ftp is (auto-)loaded.  I tend to
expand a lot of absolute filenames...
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen
<URL:http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~gnort/>  <URL:mailto:lars@rasmussen.org>

* Re: ange-ftp caching problems for remote nndir groups
@ 1996-06-28 14:25     ` Andy Norman
From: Andy Norman @ 1996-06-28 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, ange-ftp-lovers%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

Lars writes:

> Hmm, isn't ange-ftp always loaded?  On my emacs-19.31/linux, if I try
> to expand an absolute filename, ange-ftp is (auto-)loaded.  I tend to
> expand a lot of absolute filenames...

I belive that with GNU Emacs 19.x the whole of ange-ftp isn't loaded until you
start using pathnames that look like ange-ftp-style pathnames.

					-- ange -- <><

					ange@hplb.hpl.hp.com

* Re: ange-ftp caching problems for remote nndir groups
@ 1996-07-02 18:45   ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1996-07-02 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding, ange-ftp-lovers%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

Andy Norman <ange@hplb.hpl.hp.com> writes:

> Something yukky like:
>
> (defun remote-filename-p (path)
>   (if (boundp 'ange-ftp-path-format)
>       (save-match-data
> 	(string-match (car ange-ftp-path-format) path))
>     (if (boundp 'efs-path-regexp)
> 	(save-match-data
> 	  (string-match efs-path-regexp path)))))
>
> or some similar variant might work OK.
> 					-- ange -- <><

On my prebuild XEmacs 19.14 the variable ange-ftp-path-format is
defined without the ange-ftp package being loaded. Since I am using
efs ange-ftp.el never gets loaded, so I think this should be changed
to:

(defun nnheader-re-read-dir (path)
  "Re-read directory PATH if PATH is on a remote system."
    (if (or (fboundp 'efs-re-read-dir) (boundp 'efs-path-regexp))
	(when (string-match efs-path-regexp path)
	  (efs-re-read-dir path))
     (if (or (fboundp 'ange-ftp-re-read-dir) (boundp 'ange-ftp-path-format))
      (when (string-match (car ange-ftp-path-format) path)
	(ange-ftp-re-read-dir path)))
     ))

With the assumption that efs is always prefered over ange-ftp.

Jan

--
Jan Vroonhof                    http://www.math.ethz.ch/~vroonhof/
Mathematik,                                  vroonhof@math.ethz.ch

* Re: ange-ftp caching problems for remote nndir groups
@ 1996-07-02 18:47     ` Andy Norman
From: Andy Norman @ 1996-07-02 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding, ange-ftp-lovers%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

Jan writes:

> On my prebuild XEmacs 19.14 the variable ange-ftp-path-format is
> defined without the ange-ftp package being loaded. Since I am using
> efs ange-ftp.el never gets loaded, so I think this should be changed
> to:

> (defun nnheader-re-read-dir (path)
>   "Re-read directory PATH if PATH is on a remote system."
>     (if (or (fboundp 'efs-re-read-dir) (boundp 'efs-path-regexp))
> 	(when (string-match efs-path-regexp path)
> 	  (efs-re-read-dir path))
>      (if (or (fboundp 'ange-ftp-re-read-dir) (boundp 'ange-ftp-path-format))
>       (when (string-match (car ange-ftp-path-format) path)
> 	(ange-ftp-re-read-dir path)))
>      ))

> With the assumption that efs is always prefered over ange-ftp.

Agreed totally!  ;-)

					-- ange -- <><

					ange@hplb.hpl.hp.com

* Re: ange-ftp caching problems for remote nndir groups
@ 1996-06-27 21:05 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-27 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andy Norman, ding, ange-ftp-lovers%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

William Perry <wmperry@monolith.spry.com> writes:

>   Calling it on a non-ange-ftp path doesn't do any harm, at least in XEmacs
> 19.14, so I would say just do it regardless (if ange-ftp is loaded of
> course).

So I could do something like:

(when (featurep 'ange-ftp)
  (ange-ftp-re-read-dir dir))

@ 1996-06-27  1:24 ` Andy Norman
From: Andy Norman @ 1996-06-27  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, ange-ftp-lovers%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

Joe writes:

> [ Sent to both Gnus and Ange-FTP mailing lists.  Please send replies to
>   both lists. ]

OK.

> In Gnus, scanning for new articles in a remote nndir group never finds new
> articles unless you kill the corresponding "*ftp ftp@foo.bar.dom*" buffer
> first.  This is because determining the "active file" information is done
> by listing the directory and ange-ftp caches the directory listing.

Yep.

@ 1996-06-27  0:10 Joe Wells
From: Joe Wells @ 1996-06-27  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Wells <jbw@cs.bu.edu>