* Cannot open server errors
@ 1996-08-10 19:31 robert
From: robert @ 1996-08-10 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: solaris-x86

Hi, I'm a little confused by my connect problems with my news server.

Basically, for some reason it gives up after about 10 seconds.

I don't quite understand why it does this because my /dev/tcp is set
to the default 5 minutes or at least something higher than the 10
seconds it takes for gnus to quit trying. This has probbaly very
little to do with GNUS but I figure the tcp stuff in Emacs should be
using the default rather than this very short timeout I'm noticing.

NOTE: My server doesn't help much either. I mean it usually takes a
few nntpsend's before it will send the stuff out.

It as if my Solaris installation has a hell of a time opening two
connections to the same host/port combination. I'm running so
unlimited server 2.5 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Here's some timings whilst slurp is running bringing in news.

robert:/export/home/robert>./news.pl                                      15:29
Connect took  8 secs ( 0.01 usr  0.01 sys =  0.02 cpu) seconds
Connect took  6 secs ( 0.01 usr  0.00 sys =  0.01 cpu) seconds
Connect took  9 secs ( 0.01 usr  0.00 sys =  0.01 cpu) seconds
Connect took  7 secs ( 0.00 usr  0.00 sys =  0.00 cpu) seconds
^C

#! /usr/local/bin/perl5.002 -w

use strict;
use News::NNTPClient;
use FileHandle;
use Benchmark;

my ($try, $news, $t0, $t1, $dt) = ();

for (1..10)
{
	$t0 = new Benchmark;
	$news = new News::NNTPClient("news") ||
		STDERR->print("Couldn't connect to news");
	$t1 = new Benchmark;
	$dt = timediff($t1, $t0);
	STDOUT->printf("Connect took %s seconds\n",timestr($dt));
	$news->quit();
}

* Re: Cannot open server errors
@ 1996-08-16  8:51 ` Klaus Schniedergers
From: Klaus Schniedergers @ 1996-08-16  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

    robert> Hi, I'm a little confused by my connect problems with my
    robert> news server. Basically, for some reason it gives up after
    robert> about 10 seconds.

I'm having the same problem. Gnus tells me after ~5 seconds that there
is a connection error, but it usually takes ~15 seconds or more
connecting to my slow server via telnet. Other (non-Emacs) newsreaders
wait long enough. Gnus is almost unusable for me (except during
nighttime) due to this circumstance. Does anyone have a solution or
hint?

(Running Ding 5.2.38 on XEmacs19.14, Solaris2.4, SS5)

Klaus

* Re: Cannot open server errors
@ 1996-08-16  9:40   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-08-16  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Klaus> I'm having the same problem. Gnus tells me after ~5 seconds
  Klaus> that there is a connection error, but it usually takes ~15
  Klaus> seconds or more connecting to my slow server via telnet.

M-x apropos RET timeout RET

See nntp-*-timeout variables.

kai
--
What's a signature?

If you move the mouse over text that changes color,
you can click mouse-2 to get more information.
In this buffer, type RET to get full documentation.

add-timeout
  Function: Add a timer to run SECS seconds from now, to call FUNCTION on OBJECT.
  Plist: 1 property (autoload)
auto-save-timeout
  Variable: *Number of seconds idle time before auto-save.
  Plist: 1 property (variable-documentation)
bbdb-save-db-timeout
  Variable: *If non-nil, then when bbdb-save-db is asking you whether to save the db,
  Plist: 1 property (variable-documentation)
disable-timeout
  Function: Remove TIMER from the list of active timers.
nntp-command-timeout
  Variable: *Number of seconds to wait for a response when sending a command.
  Plist: 1 property (variable-documentation)
nntp-connection-timeout
  Variable: *Number of seconds to wait before an nntp connection times out.
  Plist: 1 property (variable-documentation)
timeout-event-p
  Function: Non-nil if EVENT is a timeout event.
with-timeout
  Macro: Run BODY, but if it doesn't finish in SECONDS seconds, give up.
  Plist: 2 properties
with-timeout-handler
  Function: (not documented)
x-selection-timeout
  Variable: Number of milliseconds to wait for a selection reply.
  Plist: 1 property (variable-documentation)
y-or-n-p-with-timeout
  Function: Like (y-or-n-p PROMPT), with a timeout.

* Re: Cannot open server errors
@ 1996-08-16 14:06     ` Klaus Schniedergers
From: Klaus Schniedergers @ 1996-08-16 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Klaus> I'm having the same problem. Gnus tells me after ~5 seconds
    Klaus> that there is a connection error, but it usually takes ~15
    Klaus> seconds or more connecting to my slow server via telnet.
    Kai>  M-x apropos RET timeout RET
    Kai>
    Kai> See nntp-*-timeout variables.

That's the first thing I tried when having these problems. No luck:

nntp-connection-timeout's value is nil
  -- a variable declared in Lisp.

Documentation:
*Number of seconds to wait before an nntp connection times out.
If this variable is nil, which is the default, no timers are set.

nntp-command-timeout's value is nil
  -- a variable declared in Lisp.

Documentation:

@ 1996-08-16 18:17   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-16 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Schniedergers <eedksc@eed.ericsson.se> writes:

> I'm having the same problem. Gnus tells me after ~5 seconds that there
> is a connection error, but it usually takes ~15 seconds or more
> connecting to my slow server via telnet. Other (non-Emacs) newsreaders
> wait long enough.

Try evaling this form:

  (open-network-stream "nntpd" (current-buffer) "SERVER-NAME" "nntp")

What happens?

* Re: Cannot open server errors
@ 1996-08-17  6:59     ` robert
From: robert @ 1996-08-17  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

In my case...

nntp-connection-timeout's value is nil
  -- a variable declared in Lisp.

So does XEmacs connect asynchronously then?

Still searching... I'll see if any other nntp- variables are appropriate.

--
You are amazed that they exist and they burn so
bright whilst you can only wonder why.

* Re: Cannot open server errors
@ 1996-08-17  7:03     ` robert
From: robert @ 1996-08-17  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Klaus Schniedergers <eedksc@eed.ericsson.se> writes:
>
> > I'm having the same problem. Gnus tells me after ~5 seconds that there
> > is a connection error, but it usually takes ~15 seconds or more
> > connecting to my slow server via telnet. Other (non-Emacs) newsreaders
> > wait long enough.
>
> Try evaling this form:
>
>   (open-network-stream "nntpd" (current-buffer) "SERVER-NAME" "nntp")

You mean literally?

If so, it took about twenty seconds to say UNKNOWN HOST.

In my case along this appears to be apparent when I'm running my news scanner
and it's taking all the bandwidth. Still you'd expect a connnect to be able
to get in though right?

The newsscanner is doing a get large xover request usually.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-17 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

robert@elastica.com writes:

> >   (open-network-stream "nntpd" (current-buffer) "SERVER-NAME" "nntp")
>
> You mean literally?

No -- with your server name inserted where it says "SERVER-NAME".

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Cannot open server errors
@ 1996-08-17 16:29         ` robert
From: robert @ 1996-08-17 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I get the predictable.

(open-network-stream "nntpd" (current-buffer) "news" "nntp")
200 news.dgsys.com InterNetNews server INN 1.4unoff4 05-Mar-96 ready