* Can't get gnus to read mail :-(
@ 1996-08-27 15:23 Jim Anderson
From: Jim Anderson @ 1996-08-27 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've read the doc and can't see what I'm not doing or doing wrong.

1. I use procmail
2. procmail deposits files in ~/Mail with a suffix of '.mail'
3. I renamed 'java.mail' to 'java.spool' for initial testing with gnus

When I startup gnus, no mail group shows up in the group buffer. I can
add it manually (G m), but it's always empty. If I do ESC g on the
amnually added entry (nnmbox:java), I get

	Wrong type argument: numberp, "Server denied access"

Here's the relevant stuff from .emacs:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "newshost"))
(setq gnus-nntp-server "newshost")
(setq gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-hierarchically)
(setq gnus-subscribe-hierarchical-interactive t)
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'ask-server)
(setq gnus-window-configuration nil)
(setq gnus-save-killed-list nil)

(setq gnus-local-domain "lehman.com")
(setq gnus-local-organization "Lehman Bros.")
(setq gnus-signature-file nil)
(setq gnus-auto-select-first nil)
(add-hook 'gnus-article-display-hook 'gnus-article-highlight)

(setq gnus-activate-foreign-newsgroups 1)
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnmbox "")))
(setq nnmail-split-methods nil)
(setq nnmail-spool-file "procmail")
(setq nnmail-procmail-directory "~/Mail/")
(setq nnmail-procmail-suffix ".spool")
(setq nnmail-use-procmail t)
(setq nnmail-tmp-directory "~/Ding")

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

jim

--
Jim Anderson					Phone:  (201) 524-4206
Lehman Brothers, Inc.				Fax:	(201) 524-5828

* Re: Can't get gnus to read mail :-(
@ 1996-08-27 23:46 ` Ed Donovan
From: Ed Donovan @ 1996-08-27 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jim,

Two things I can see:

You pretty much want to be using nnfolder, not nnmbox.  That's the one
really meant to pick up procmail spools.  Just pop nnfolder into the
place of nnmbox in the same secondary-select-methods line you have
there.

This second one might not be in play yet, but will be with nnfolder:
you've got nnmail-procmail-directory set to "~/Mail/" (you've probably
seen that the Gnus default is "~/incoming").  But ~/Mail/ is the default
directory for your nnfolders to go.  So set nnfolder-directory to
something else, or shuffle things around if you want to use the
defaults.  (I'm chicken, and use them :-)

Oh, whoops, third thing: put the gnus settings in .gnus, not .emacs;
much of this stuff gets defined or set upon loading gnus, so unless you
have (require 'gnus) before it all, you might be undoing things.

The rest of your variables look ok to me (Grand Master of Nothing).  Add
(setq nnfolder-get-new-mail t) when you're ready to go.  You might not
set gnus-activate-foreign-newsgroups to 1 for now, until you've created
your nnfolder groups and then put them on level 1.

hth,

--

Ed Donovan			edonovan@world.std.com