* You can now ding@ifi.uio.no from nntp.
@ 1996-09-08 11:39 Per Abrahamsen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-09-08 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is new a bidirectional gateway from ding@ifi.uio.no to the
public nntp server at sunsite.auc.dk.  The address is:

	<URL:news://sunsite.auc.dk/emacs.ding>

With Netscape, you can just click on the URL to read the group.  With
Gnus 5.3, it is a lot more work.  Take the following as a bug report:

Clicking on the URL won't work.  It parses the string as a message-id
rather than a host name.  Instead, browse the nntp server with

	`B nntp RET sunsite.auc.dk RET'

move point to the emacs.ding group, and press `u' to subscribe to the
group.   Press `l' to get the normal group buffer back.

You can now read the `nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding' group.
Unfortunately, the number of read articles won't be updated.  To fix
this, quit emacs.  Now *don't* start a fresh Gnus!  If you do, your
`.newsrc.eld' will be destroyed.  Instead, load the `.newsrc.eld' in a
buffer, find the following line (search for "#")

	("nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding" 3 nil nil (nntp "sunsite.auc.dk") ((quit-config #<killed buffer> . browse)))

and delete the "((quit-config #<killed buffer> . browse))"
expression.  You can now start Gnus read the emacs.ding group as a normal
newsgroup.

To post to the emacs.ding group, you must press `C-u C-c C-c' instead
of `C-c C-c' in the message compose buffer.  Otherwise, Gnus will
attempt to use your the local nntp instead of sunsite.  I always
forget this, and think it is a bad default.

PS: I'd like to see all the (newsgroup-less) emacs mailing list on
sunsite, also those who only get a mail every second month.  If
administrate a mailing list for some emacs package, please contact me.

PPS:  I use the following script to feed the mail into the newsgroup,
and have the list itself as moderator.  If there is any of the mail &
news experts here that can see problems with this approach, please let
me know.  The script is called from /etc/aliases with the newsgroup as
argument.

#! /bin/sh
NNTPSERVER=sunsite.auc.dk
export NNTPSERVER
INEWS=/pack/dnews/inews
FORMAIL=/pack/procmail/bin/formail
NEWSGROUPS=$1
( $FORMAIL -I "Newsgroups: $NEWSGROUPS" \
          -a "Approved: slist@sunsite.auc.dk" \
          -R "From " "X-Mail-From: " \
          -R "Received:" "X-Mail-Received:" \
          -R "Path:" "X-Mail-Path:" \
          -I "Path: slist" \
  | $INEWS ) || exit 42
exit 0

* Re: You can now ding@ifi.uio.no from nntp.
@ 1996-09-08 12:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-08 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> There is new a bidirectional gateway from ding@ifi.uio.no to the
> public nntp server at sunsite.auc.dk.  The address is:
>
> 	<URL:news://sunsite.auc.dk/emacs.ding>
>
> With Netscape, you can just click on the URL to read the group.

I've now fixed Red Gnus 0.30 to handle these urls sensibly -- Gnus
will open an ephemeral group to read these thingies.

> Instead, browse the nntp server with
>
> 	`B nntp RET sunsite.auc.dk RET'
>
> move point to the emacs.ding group, and press `u' to subscribe to the
> group.   Press `l' to get the normal group buffer back.
>
> You can now read the `nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding' group.
> Unfortunately, the number of read articles won't be updated.  To fix
> this, quit emacs.  Now *don't* start a fresh Gnus!  If you do, your
> `.newsrc.eld' will be destroyed.  Instead, load the `.newsrc.eld' in a
> buffer, find the following line (search for "#")
>
> 	("nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding" 3 nil nil (nntp "sunsite.auc.dk") ((quit-config #<killed buffer> . browse)))

I seem to be unable to reproduce this bug...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: You can now ding@ifi.uio.no from nntp.
@ 1996-09-08 13:37   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-09-08 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>
> > There is new a bidirectional gateway from ding@ifi.uio.no to the
> > public nntp server at sunsite.auc.dk.  The address is:
> >
> > 	<URL:news://sunsite.auc.dk/emacs.ding>
> >
> > With Netscape, you can just click on the URL to read the group.
>
> I've now fixed Red Gnus 0.30 to handle these urls sensibly -- Gnus
> will open an ephemeral group to read these thingies.

It would be nice if it also handled

	<URL:news://sunsite.auc.dk/>

which should correspond to `B nntp RET sunsite.auc.dk' in *Group*.

* Re: You can now ding@ifi.uio.no from nntp.
@ 1996-09-08 13:58 ` David Kågedal
From: David Kågedal @ 1996-09-08 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> To post to the emacs.ding group, you must press `C-u C-c C-c' instead
> of `C-c C-c' in the message compose buffer.  Otherwise, Gnus will
> attempt to use your the local nntp instead of sunsite.  I always
> forget this, and think it is a bad default.

Or you can set the group parameter (to-list . "ding@ifi.uio.no) which
will send it by email to the list when you press C-c C-c.

--
David Kågedal     Lysator Academic Computer Society       davidk@lysator.liu.se
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/                              +46-13 17 65 89

* Re: You can now ding@ifi.uio.no from nntp.
@ 1996-09-08 16:46 ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-09-08 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Per Abrahamsen writes:

>There is new a bidirectional gateway from ding@ifi.uio.no to the
>public nntp server at sunsite.auc.dk.  The address is:
>
>	<URL:news://sunsite.auc.dk/emacs.ding>
>
>With Netscape, you can just click on the URL to read the group.  With
>Gnus 5.3, it is a lot more work.  Take the following as a bug report:

  Ahem... it should work if you use W3. :)

-Bill P.

* Re: You can now ding@ifi.uio.no from nntp.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-09-08 20:03 ` Steve Baumgarten
From: Steve Baumgarten @ 1996-09-08 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Clicking on the URL won't work.  It parses the string as a message-id
   rather than a host name.  Instead, browse the nntp server with

   	`B nntp RET sunsite.auc.dk RET'

   move point to the emacs.ding group, and press `u' to subscribe to the
   group.   Press `l' to get the normal group buffer back.

This didn't work for me -- instead, I got:

Unable to contact server: sunsite.auc.dk DNEWS Version 2.5g, posting OK

which looks a lot like I *was* able to contact the server, but for
some reason Gnus didn't parse the response correctly.

This is running gnus v5.2.40 on emacs 19.30.

SBB