* discouraging use of `Re: none' subject
@ 1996-09-23 18:27 Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 1996-09-23 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I just replied to a message with no subject (or maybe it really was `none')
and neglected to edit the zero-content Subject: field.

It would be nice if Gnus warned about that, just as it does
when I leave Subject: blank.

Thanks for a great tool!
Jim

* Re: discouraging use of `Re: none' subject
@ 1996-09-24 17:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-24 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Meyering <meyering@asic.sc.ti.com> writes:

> I just replied to a message with no subject (or maybe it really was `none')
> and neglected to edit the zero-content Subject: field.
>
> It would be nice if Gnus warned about that, just as it does
> when I leave Subject: blank.

Hm.  I don't know.  If you're responding to a message with no subject,
I think a "Re: none" subject is appropriate.

* Re: discouraging use of `Re: none' subject
@ 1996-09-24 19:19   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-09-24 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Hm.  I don't know.  If you're responding to a message with no subject,
> I think a "Re: none" subject is appropriate.

Perhaps, but from a purely practical point of view I would appreciate
if Gnus would remind me to add a subject.  Here is an extract from a
folder containing my correspondence with a friend who doesn't believe
in subject lines.  If I hadn't manually changed the subject lines on
the replies, this listing would have been very non-informative.  As
you see, I forgot to do this in the first reply in the last thread.
Having Gnus remind me would be a great help.

OA- [   8: Peter Juhl          ] (none)
O + [   8: Per Abrahamsen      ]     Jim Flemming
O   [  11: Peter Juhl          ]         -||-
OA- [  10: Peter Juhl          ] (none)
O + [  17: Per Abrahamsen      ]     Tegnsæt
O   [  11: Peter Juhl          ]         -||-
OA- [   8: Peter Juhl          ] (none)
O + [   7: Per Abrahamsen      ]     Jul & Nytår
OA- [   7: Peter Juhl          ] (none)
O + [   5: Per Abrahamsen      ]     Re: none
OA  [   7: Peter Juhl          ]         -||-
O + [   4: Per Abrahamsen      ]             Indent
O   [   6: Peter Juhl          ]                 -||-

* Re: discouraging use of `Re: none' subject
@ 1996-09-24 19:38     ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 1996-09-24 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Perhaps, but from a purely practical point of view I would
    > appreciate if Gnus would remind me to add a subject.

I would agree with this wholeheartedly. I was asked, by a collegue,
to modify VM on our local system so it complained (refused to send
it) when a subject-less email was being sent (he used to get a lot of
subject-less email from students, so you can just imagine his
mail-box); the argument was that since a non-empty message is being
sent, it's obviously *about* something and therefore there should be
an identifying subject-line.

* Re: discouraging use of `Re: none' subject
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-25 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
>
> > Hm.  I don't know.  If you're responding to a message with no subject,
> > I think a "Re: none" subject is appropriate.
>
> Perhaps, but from a purely practical point of view I would appreciate
> if Gnus would remind me to add a subject.

Ok; I've now added this to the todo list.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen