From: Felix Lee <flee@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: q0.12: agent comments
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 00:55:17 -0700	[thread overview]

> > and semi-intelligent expire.  (eg, for ! marks, instead of
> > putting the article into the cache, mark it as not to be
> Why not just use `*' to make the article persistent instead?

I do that sometimes, but *ed articles tend to go away once
they're marked as read, right?  which is perfectly
acceptable behavior.  (and simpler than trying to type M-*
to uncache articles.)

unrelated musing..

lately I've been reading work-related news by gnus'ing
remotely on an rlogin over 28k ppp.  despite the sluggish
display and the mediocre interactive response, this is
surprisingly much more _usable_ than gnus'ing locally with
nntp over 28k ppp.  mostly because I don't have these random
delays waiting for data to arrive.

there's something wrong here.  maybe I'll stop running gnus
locally.  (except then I'll need some other way of saving
the collected genius of Archimedes Plutonium, not to mention
all those Xxxciting! Hot! Babes! that want to meet me
personally.)

or maybe I need a different backend that talks to an
intermediate reader agent that reduces the data transfer
substantially..  (compression is probably a good first try;
news data (like overview) tends to compress very well.)