From: Christian Limpach <chris@nice.ch>
Subject: Re: ideas needed for nnmail-pop3-movemail
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:47:43 +0100 (MET)	[thread overview]

> CL> If it is so, then the code which asks for passwords should be removed
> CL> from pop3 altogether.
>
> No, it shouldn't, because it is part of the basic POP3 specification.  To
> wit, in order to be a complete API it needs to be able to submit
> authentication information to the POP server.

It needs to be able to submit authentification information to the POP
server, but it doesn't have to interactively query the user for that
information.  It would still be a complete API if you removed the
interactive query function.  There's no interactive query function for
host, user, port, whatever in pop3.el and you still consider it to be
complete, so why would there be an interactive query function for
authentification information ?

I think you should move the interactive query function out of
pop3-pass (and pop3-apop) into pop3-movemail.

I can agree with the rest of what you wrote, i.e. pop3-movemail is not
to be used for anything serious and gnus should have a
nnmail-pop3-movemail function which uses the pop3 API directly.

    christian