* Re:  Emacs 20.2, Gnus 5.5, TM 7.106, core dump
@ 1997-12-04 19:32 Fabrice.Popineau
From: Fabrice.Popineau @ 1997-12-04 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

How strange ! This happens to me this afternoon. I was composing some
e-mail with iso-latin1 in it and poof ! Emacs disappeared. Hmm only after
I clicked on the Message Box about Abort/Retry.

Emacs 19.34.6, Gnus 5.5, Semi-0.115.1, Win32

This is the first time Emacs is making a core. I guess I should recompile
it with debug options. But without knowing how to reproduce the bug,
it is hopeless.

Fabrice

* Emacs 20.2, Gnus 5.5, TM 7.106, core dump
@ 1997-12-04 17:39 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-12-04 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

When sending mail with Latin 1 in it (which TM converts to quoted
printable) I sometimes get a core dump from Emacs.

It does not occur every time.  I can't reliably reproduce it.  (Unless
you count `use it for a day, you will have about two or three core
dumps' as reliable!)

I also get core dumps on other occasions, but these are too rare to
make anything of them.  (Read: I had Emacs core dump on me after
startup once, I had Emacs core dump on me after typing `g' in the
*Group* buffer.)

I have no idea on how to proceed to find the bug.  Therefore, my
question: has anybody seen anything like it?

I can provide a beautiful backtrace from gdb and more info on where
the memory fault occurs if anybody is interested.

--
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/