* Re: Selective quoting (was: Re: GNKSA and Gnus)
@ 1998-01-05 21:35 John Moreno
From: John Moreno @ 1998-01-05 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Karl-Johan Noren

Per Abrahamsen wrote:

>Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
>
>> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>>
>> > This is something Gravity does, and in general a good idea.  It migth
>> > make less sense for Gnus.  However, I think it would be nice if quoting
-snip-

>> I still don't think this idea makes any sense.  But YMMV.
>
>Think of the typical new user with a windows based newsreader.  Would
>you rather have that
>
>1) He had to select which parts of the article to quote, or
>2) he had to select which parts of the article not to quote?
>
>I'd prefer #1, since I believe that having to make an explicit
>decision to quote some text would encourage him to only quote the
>relevant parts of the message.
>
>Now Gnus is different because it is part of Emacs, and the commands
>must make sense within that frameworks, and Gnus users are in average
>more experienced than, say, users of MS Internet News.  Thus, you
>don't see as many beginner-errors with Gnus, and adding extra code to
>prevent them makes less sense in that context.

That's the idea, and that's why it's a SHOULD not a MUST.  But of course
it's not quite that clear since even with the SHOULD it's only : SHOULD
have a method of doing 1.  The user isn't to be required to use the
method.

--
John Moreno

* Selective quoting (was: Re: GNKSA and Gnus)
@ 1998-01-05 21:29     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-01-05 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, John Moreno, Karl-Johan Noren