From: cwg-dated-4706b1d0ee55baea@DeepEddy.Com
Cc: Richard Coleman <coleman@math.gatech.edu>,
	exmh-users@sunlabs.Eng.Sun.COM, ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Mail-{Reply,Followup}-To considered harmful
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:00:21 -0600	[thread overview]

[ Removed nmh-workers@math.gatech.edu ]

> From:  Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
> Date:  Fri, 13 Feb 1998 01:37:07 -0500
> Imagine a user interface that makes it easy for people to choose where
> their replies go.  It has two buttons: one labeled "Reply to Author"
> and another labeled "Reply".

>   field.  But the user interface also displays the address from any
>   Reply-To field (grayed out and thus disabled), and the responder can
>   click on a button to enable the Reply-To address and disable the From
>   address.
>
> + "Reply" always defaults to the address in the Reply-To field if there
>   is one present.  If not, it uses the addresses in the From, To, and Cc
>   fields.  But even if the Reply-To field was present, the addresses
>   from the From, To, and Cc fields are still visible (grayed), and you
>   can click on any address to toggle whether the message will be sent to
>   that address.
>
> (Of course, you still need to be able to type in new addresses.)
>
> This way, you could read a message, decide to Reply, and if you didn't
> like the defaults you could change them with a couple of mouse clicks.
>
> I've talked to a guy who did human factors studies with this kind of
> email interface; he said it works quite well.
>
> Of course, it's a bit more difficult to provide this functionality
> with a command-line UI like mh has.  But it's certainly seems possible
> to improve on the current behavior.

Well, seeing as how one of the two places that I'm reading this thread is on
the exmh list, Is there anybody out there who's interested in implementing
this for exmh?  If nothing else, it might be worth having a discussion of what
it would look like in sedit.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                    O-              cwg@DeepEddy.Com
  Deep Eddy Internet Consulting                     +1 512 432 4046