* custom v. *
@ 1998-02-13 20:21 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-13 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are apparently lots of Gnus variables that have doc strings that
do not start with "*" that are customizable.  Is that inconsistent
with how things are supposed to be?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: custom v. *
@ 1998-02-13 22:53 ` Felix Lee
From: Felix Lee @ 1998-02-13 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> There are apparently lots of Gnus variables that have doc strings that
> do not start with "*" that are customizable.  Is that inconsistent
> with how things are supposed to be?

yah.  the "*" is used to decide if the variable goes in the
completion list when you do M-x set-variable.  among other
things.

* Re: custom v. *
@ 1998-02-14 14:17   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-14 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Felix Lee <flee@teleport.com> writes:

> yah.  the "*" is used to decide if the variable goes in the
> completion list when you do M-x set-variable.  among other
> things.

Me *luuurve* `M-x grep' & `next-error' & `forward-sexp'.  Done!

* Re: custom v. *
@ 1998-02-15 14:43 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-02-15 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> There are apparently lots of Gnus variables that have doc strings that
> do not start with "*" that are customizable.  Is that inconsistent
> with how things are supposed to be?

No, it is quite right.

>From the emacs lisp manual:

	A variable's documentation string should start with `*' if the
	variable is one that users would often want to set
	interactively. If the value is a long list, or a function, or
	if the variable would only be set in init files, then don't
	start the documentation string with `*'.

The quick test is:

	Would the user ever set this with `M-x set-variable RET'?

* Re: custom v. *
@ 1998-02-15 14:48 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-02-15 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> There are apparently lots of Gnus variables that have doc strings that
> do not start with "*" that are customizable.

It is a common error to just put "*" on every user variable,
regardless of whether it is useful to set interactively.  I fixed a
lot of those when converting to defcustom.

* Re: custom v. *
@ 1998-02-15 15:14   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-15 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> It is a common error to just put "*" on every user variable,
> regardless of whether it is useful to set interactively.  I fixed a
> lot of those when converting to defcustom.

Oops.  That means that I'll have to back out all those "*" changes.
Darn.