* How are diff patches applied
@ 1998-02-16 23:37 Harry Putnam
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-02-16 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

There doesn't seem to be a single word of instuction with the diff
patches. No readmes at the website where they are stockpiled either.
Can someone point me to some HOWTO on this?
--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: How are diff patches applied
@ 1998-02-17  7:58 ` Steinar Bang
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-02-17  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There doesn't seem to be a single word of instuction with the diff
> patches. No readmes at the website where they are stockpiled either.
> Can someone point me to some HOWTO on this?

I'm assuming you're using some sort of UNIX system? Try running
	which patch
to see if there's a patch installed.  If not, you should be able to
get hold of one from a GNU distribution near you.

If you have patch installed, take a look at the paths of the files in
the diff.  Place yourself at what seems to be the origin directory of
the diff, and try doing
	patch <the-gnus-diff
(or whatever it's called).

If it starts prompting you for the names of files to patch, my
standard approach is to start stripping of parts of the path of file
names (patch flags -p0, -p1, -p2 etc.).

Other than that I can't really help you, it usually works for me.

- Steinar

* Re: How are diff patches applied
@ 1998-02-17  8:04 ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-02-17  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There doesn't seem to be a single word of instuction with the diff
> patches. No readmes at the website where they are stockpiled either.
> Can someone point me to some HOWTO on this?

Do an altavista search with search string `Patch HOWTO'.

Basically, make sure you have a version of Patch version 2.1.  Cd to
the top-level Gnus source directory and feed the patch to `patch -p1':

$ gunzip -c /path/to/qgnus-0.28-0.29.diff.gz | patch -p1

Beware of versions of GNU patch beyond 2.1.  They are of wildly varying
stability and most versions have had fatal problems of some sort.

* Re: How are diff patches applied
@ 1998-02-17  8:11 ` Kees de Bruin
From: Kees de Bruin @ 1998-02-17  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus Development

 HP> There doesn't seem to be a single word of instuction with the diff
 HP> patches. No readmes at the website where they are stockpiled either.
 HP> Can someone point me to some HOWTO on this?

You need to have the GNU patch utility installed on your system. I assume
that you are running on a Unix system, so you can do the following (all
filenames are related to my own situation):

1. Save the diff file some place, e.g.

	~/emacs/sources/patches/qgnus-0.28-0.29.diff

2. Go to your QGnus directory

	cd ~/emacs/qgnus

3. Apply the diff file using patch

	patch -p1 -sE < ~/emacs/sources/patches/qgnus-0.28-0.29.diff

   This will skip the first directory in the diff file (-p1) and will be
   silent except for error messages and such. You will now have a number of
   .orig files (the original files)

4. Run make again to byte-compile the sources.

5. If the patch utility is not installed, look for it at one of the many
   GNU mirror sites.

Hope this helps.

--
Kees de Bruin                                             Software Engineer
E-mail:  kees_de_bruin@tasking.com                      Tasking Software BV

* Re: How are diff patches applied
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-02-17  9:59 ` Stefanie Teufel
From: Stefanie Teufel @ 1998-02-17  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 16, 1998 at 11:37:34PM +0000, Harry Putnam wrote:
> There doesn't seem to be a single word of instuction with the diff
> patches. No readmes at the website where they are stockpiled either.
> Can someone point me to some HOWTO on this?

Perhaps you encounter the same problems, that I had. I had to rename the
install-directory from qgnus-0.2x to qgnus to apply the patches. Then a
patch -p0 < qgnus-foo.bar worked fine for me.

hth,

Stefanie

* Re: How are diff patches applied
@ 1998-02-17 10:10     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-02-17 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kees de Bruin <kees_de_bruin@tasking.com> writes:

>  ST> Perhaps you encounter the same problems, that I had. I had to rename the
>  ST> install-directory from qgnus-0.2x to qgnus to apply the patches. Then a
>  ST> patch -p0 < qgnus-foo.bar worked fine for me.
>
> This is not necessary at all. Just cd into the qgnus directory and use
>
> 	patch -p1 < qgnus.diff

Boy I wish I'd seen this yesterday.
I had so much trouble with trying to run the patches I finally threw in
the towel and just downloaded the full tar.gz and compiled it and
inserted the new files in the /gnus dir in Emacs lisp dir same with the
info files -- It worked fine but had to relocate all bookmarks that were
in gnus info. The relocation function is very handy.

Now for a  dopey question:

I upgraded from qgnus-0.22 to 0.29 - If I had used the patch method,
would I have had to use all the patches from 22 on, in sequence?

--

@ 1998-02-17 11:32   ` Kees de Bruin
From: Kees de Bruin @ 1998-02-17 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

 ST> Perhaps you encounter the same problems, that I had. I had to rename the
 ST> install-directory from qgnus-0.2x to qgnus to apply the patches. Then a
 ST> patch -p0 < qgnus-foo.bar worked fine for me.

This is not necessary at all. Just cd into the qgnus directory and use

	patch -p1 < qgnus.diff

--
Kees de Bruin                                             Software Engineer
E-mail:  kees_de_bruin@tasking.com                      Tasking Software BV
Voice:   +31-33-455 85 84                               Plotterweg 31
Fax:     +31-33-455 00 03                               3821 BB  Amersfoort
WWW:     http://www.tasking.com                         The Netherlands
-------------[ Never cut what you can untie -- Joseph Joubert ]------------

* Re: How are diff patches applied
@ 1998-02-17 11:58     ` Stefanie Teufel
From: Stefanie Teufel @ 1998-02-17 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 17, 1998 at 12:32:35PM +0100, Kees de Bruin wrote:

>  ST> Perhaps you encounter the same problems, that I had. I had to rename the
>  ST> install-directory from qgnus-0.2x to qgnus to apply the patches. Then a
>  ST> patch -p0 < qgnus-foo.bar worked fine for me.
>
> This is not necessary at all. Just cd into the qgnus directory and use
>
> 	patch -p1 < qgnus.diff

Cool, thxs:-) I'm a total idiot regarding English, Patches and Gnus...

Stefanie

* Re: How are diff patches applied
@ 1998-02-17 18:32       ` Stefanie Teufel
From: Stefanie Teufel @ 1998-02-17 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 17, 1998 at 10:10:42AM +0000, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Kees de Bruin <kees_de_bruin@tasking.com> writes:

> Boy I wish I'd seen this yesterday.

I'm also very grateful:-)

> Now for a  dopey question:
> I upgraded from qgnus-0.22 to 0.29 - If I had used the patch method,
> would I have had to use all the patches from 22 on, in sequence?

Yep.

regards,

Stefanie