* gnus loops if nntp server connection closes without sending output
@ 1998-03-02  2:58 Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1998-03-02  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to contact an nntp server through a tcp forwarder (ssh).
The forwarder accepts the connection, but then if the news server
cannot be reached, it closes it.

The loop in nntp-wait-for does not appear to handle a closed
connection, where no amount of waiting will produce output from the
closed pipe.  So nntp-open-connection loops endlessly.  I tried making
nntp-wait-for simply raise an error in this case, but that aborts the
gnus invocation, and doesn't permit the reading of groups from other
servers.

I'm looking at qgnus-0.32, but the announcements for 0.33 and 0.34
don't indicate any change in this area.

Ken

* Re: gnus loops if nntp server connection closes without sending output
@ 1998-03-07 12:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-07 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com> writes:

> I'm trying to contact an nntp server through a tcp forwarder (ssh).
> The forwarder accepts the connection, but then if the news server
> cannot be reached, it closes it.
>
> The loop in nntp-wait-for does not appear to handle a closed
> connection, where no amount of waiting will produce output from the
> closed pipe.

Hm.  It should check the status of the process and see whether it is
still alive.  Fix in Quassia Gnus v0.35.  At least I think so.  Could
you check after it's been released?

* Re: gnus loops if nntp server connection closes without sending output
@ 1998-03-08  6:20   ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1998-03-08  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > The loop in nntp-wait-for does not appear to handle a closed
> > connection, where no amount of waiting will produce output from the
> > closed pipe.
>
> Hm.  It should check the status of the process and see whether it is
> still alive.  Fix in Quassia Gnus v0.35.  At least I think so.  Could
> you check after it's been released?

Tried it (in 0.37), but the problem is still there.  The loop here:

    (while (or (not (memq (char-after (point)) '(?2 ?3 ?4 ?5)))
	       (looking-at "480"))
      (when (looking-at "480")
	(nntp-handle-authinfo process))
      (nntp-accept-process-output process)
      (goto-char (point-min)))

is being run on an empty buffer, so char-after returns nil, and the
loop never finishes.  It doesn't get as far as the process-status
check.

* Re: gnus loops if nntp server connection closes without sending output
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-08 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com> writes:

> Tried it (in 0.37), but the problem is still there.  The loop here:
>
>     (while (or (not (memq (char-after (point)) '(?2 ?3 ?4 ?5)))
> 	       (looking-at "480"))
>       (when (looking-at "480")
> 	(nntp-handle-authinfo process))
>       (nntp-accept-process-output process)
>       (goto-char (point-min)))
>
> is being run on an empty buffer, so char-after returns nil, and the
> loop never finishes.  It doesn't get as far as the process-status
> check.

Yup.  I've now added a check to that loop as well.