François Pinard writes: > Rajappa Iyer writes: > > > 1. Message sequences. > > What are they? In MH, I can assign a compound sequence of messages a name and can limit my operations to operate on specific sequences. Look upon it as user customizable marks. > > 2. Picking messages based on patterns in their body or some header > > field. > > The usual devices for this, I think, are the limiting commands (starting > with `/') and the scoring commands (starting with `I', 'L' or 'V'). > Maybe there are others? That makes a lot already :-). Yes, limiting takes care of matching on headers, but unless I'm missing something obvious, one cannot limit based on the contents message body. I find this occasionally useful when searching for a particular piece of email. Hmm, now that I think about it, both 1 and 2 may perhaps easily be implemented by spawning an external command like MH's pick which will return a sequence of message numbers which match the given criteria and have a special limiting function which will use that list. > > 3. When I periodically delete some mail, I can folder -pack to > > renumber all the messages. With Gnus it is a lot more painful. > > What is the purpose of doing such an operation? I have the impression that > it is rather unusual that one has to enter the `nnml' hierarchy directly, > or depends on attributed numbers. Isn't it? Well, the idea is that despite all the fine procmail filters I have in place, a lot of spam and otherwise useless messages make it to my inbox. If I expire them, it leaves a gap in the message numbers and then the count of messages is inaccurate since Gnus calculates the number of articles based on the article numbers of the first and the last articles. Ideally, I'd like to be able to `pack' the nnml folder in the same way as an MH folder so that I have an accurate count of the messages in my folder. I do think that I shall look into adapting and implementing some of the nifty MH features that I've been silently missing for so long. :-) Regards, Rajappa -- Rajappa Iyer #include We're too busy mopping the floor to turn off the faucet.