* Umlauts with pgnus-0.36?
@ 1998-10-23 14:09 Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 1998-10-23 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo,

I just installed pgnus-0.36 under vanilla GNU Emacs 20.3 (no patches).
I use (standard-display-european 1)

Now when I view a message that contains German umlauts (but often no
appropiate MIME headers) the new pgnus
prints them as \<octalval>Umlaut. Older gnus versions (5.4.x) just printed
the umlauts themselves. Is there a way to get the old behaviour back?
It looks like a bug to me, because duplicating the character doesn't make
much sense.

Another question: Is it possible to use qmail style Maildirs under gnus?

-Andi

* Re: Umlauts with pgnus-0.36?
@ 1998-10-23 14:33 ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1998-10-23 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> writes:

> Hallo,
>
> I use (standard-display-european 1)
>
> prints them as \<octalval>Umlaut. Older gnus versions (5.4.x) just printed
> the umlauts themselves. Is there a way to get the old behaviour back?

I think that the only thing you should be using is

(set-language-environment "Latin-1")

and not standard display-european though I could be wrong ... Lars? Anyone?

Try removing the (standard-display-european 1) inserting the
set-language-environment and restarting emacs and gnus.

Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"

* maildir (was Re: Umlauts with pgnus-0.36?)
@ 1998-10-24 18:23 ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-10-24 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> writes:

> Another question: Is it possible to use qmail style Maildirs under gnus?

Currently, Gnus does not support maildir natively.  This topic has
come up at various times over the years, but maildir support has never
made it in.

Lars is not opposed to the idea which is good:
<URL:http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/199804/msg00211.html>

Pat LoPresti took a crack at maildir support a few months ago, but it
appears the mail backend stuff in Gnus needs to be re-worked first:
<URL:http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/199804/msg00225.html>

This is where the issue currently stands AFAIK.