* Flyyying
@ 1998-12-21 21:27 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-21 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Geeze.  These aisles are much too narrow to be able to type
comfortably.

But anyway.  It's the possibility that counts.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Flyyying
@ 1998-12-22 12:03 ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1998-12-22 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> was heard to say:
| Geeze.  These aisles are much too narrow to be able to type
| comfortably.
|
| But anyway.  It's the possibility that counts.

Not if you travel often enough.  The "trick" (and I say "trick"
only because at 6'6", it's damn near a necessity) is to get to
the airport early (real early for long flights) and request an
exit row seat.  Much better leg room.  Much easier to type.

I'm flying to Bangkok in January, you don't want to know how early
I plan to get to the airport!

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | If all mankind were to disappear,
http://nwalsh.com/                 | the world would regenerate back to
                                   | the rich state of equilibrium that
                                   | existed ten thousand years ago. If
                                   | insects were to vanish, the
                                   | environment would collapse into
                                   | chaos.--Edward O. Wilson

* Re: Flyyying
@ 1998-12-22 13:53   ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1998-12-22 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> I'm flying to Bangkok in January, you don't want to know how early
> I plan to get to the airport!

[May this year, swissair counter, Kloten Airport]

Jan: Gruezi, My girl friend and I are flying to Tokio in july. However
     she will be flying in from Geneva and will not be checking in
     together with me. Is there a way we can make sure we will be
     sitting together on the long haul to Tokyo.

Swissair: Of course do you know your flight number?

Jan: SR xxxxx

Swissair: I can can check you in right away. Do you want row or
window seat, etc..

Jan: nice!

Swissair: Do you also want to have your seats reserved for the way
back?

The moral, arranging things in advance saves from arriving
unbelievably early. I am not sure all airlines do this.

Jan

* Re: Flyyying
@ 1998-12-22 15:37     ` Yair Friedman
From: Yair Friedman @ 1998-12-22 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

SR allow check in more than a month in advance? Most airlines allow
check in only 24 hours before flight.

Some airline let you select seats  before check in and many will do this
for frequent flyers, some give this service only to frequent flyers.  A
good travel agent can overcome those obstacles for you.

However, according to flight regulations, the really comfortable seats
which are in the cabin front and next to the emergency exit cannot be
assigned prior to flights.  The airline should verify that passengers in
those seats are able to read the emergency instructions and being
physically able to open emergency doors and assist passengers in
emergencies.

I guess that being 6'6 usually satisfies the second requirement...

Yair (Not flying much, but works for the airline industry).

* Re: Flyyying
@ 1998-12-22 17:11       ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1998-12-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

| However, according to flight regulations, the really comfortable seats
| which are in the cabin front and next to the emergency exit cannot be
| assigned prior to flights.  The airline should verify that passengers in

Right, that's the problem.  I can easily get an assigned seat in
advance (in fact, I always do), but getting the exit row seats
is the really important trick.

| those seats are able to read the emergency instructions and being
| physically able to open emergency doors and assist passengers in
| emergencies.

I've heard that this is not actually the case, and that the
refusal to book exit row seats is just a matter of policy.  The
original reason, to let the ticketing agents ascertain your
ability to perform the functions required, was apparently
challenged (at least in the US) under the Americans with
Disabilities act and judged to be discriminatory.

That might be apocrophal, I don't have good reference.  However,
last April when I went to Bangkok, NW called me a couple of days
before the flight and asked me if I'd mind taking an earlier
flight for the Detroit to Tokyo leg.  I agreed, but only on the
condition that they assign me exit row seats the whole way there
and back.  They did.  And for my comfortable flights, I got a
seven hour layover in the Tokyo satelite terminal, which is
easily one of the most uncomfortable airport terminals it has
ever been my pleasure to endure.  But it was worth it for 21
hours of sitting in an exit row seat.

| Yair (Not flying much, but works for the airline industry).

Ah, well maybe you can prove me wrong then. ;-)

ObDing: Why does gnus query the nntp server when I use 'B m' to
create a new nnml group by moving an article from another nnml
group.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Picture a massless particle.
http://nwalsh.com/                 |

* Re: Flyyying
@ 1998-12-22 20:47       ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-12-22 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 05:37:05PM +0200, Yair Friedman wrote:
> Yair (Not flying much, but works for the airline industry).

That's... worrying!

;-)
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk

* Re: Flyyying
@ 1998-12-24  1:51         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-24  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> ObDing: Why does gnus query the nntp server when I use 'B m' to
> create a new nnml group by moving an article from another nnml
> group.

The debug-on-entry on the nntp functions that are called to see what's
calling it.

* Re: Flyyying
@ 1999-01-12 14:18           ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1999-01-12 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
|
| > ObDing: Why does gnus query the nntp server when I use 'B m' to
| > create a new nnml group by moving an article from another nnml
| > group.
|
| The debug-on-entry on the nntp functions that are called to see what's
| calling it.

Er, it seems to have stopped happening in the latest gnus I've
installed (0.65).  Or maybe it only stops when debug-on-entry is set.
Nah ;-)

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Imagine if every Thursday your
http://nwalsh.com/                 | shoes exploded if you tied them
                                   | the usual way. This happens to us
                                   | all the time with computers, and
                                   | nobody thinks of
                                   | complaining.--Jeff Raskin

* Re: Flyyying
@ 1999-01-13  5:28             ` Matt Simmons
From: Matt Simmons @ 1999-01-13  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> The debug-on-entry on the nntp functions that are called to
    Lars> see what's calling it.

    Norman> Er, it seems to have stopped happening in the latest gnus
    Norman> I've installed (0.65).  Or maybe it only stops when
    Norman> debug-on-entry is set.  Nah ;-)

There seem to be about a million functions[1] matching ^nntp, so I
used debug-on-quit.  This is from 0.69.  I use agent, but was plugged
when I tried this.

Signaling: (quit)
  accept-process-output(#<network connection "nntpd<1>" ("nntp" . "nntp.ix.netcom.com") state:run> 1)
  nntp-accept-process-output(#<network connection "nntpd<1>" ("nntp" . "nntp.ix.netcom.com") state:run>)
  nntp-open-connection(#<buffer " *nntpd*">)
  nntp-open-server("nntp.ix.netcom.com" nil)
  gnus-open-server((nntp "nntp.ix.netcom.com"))
  gnus-activate-group("nnml:deleteme")
  gnus-read-move-group-name("Move" nil (9586) "nnml:")
  gnus-summary-move-article(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-move-article)

Matt

Footnotes:
[1]  Is there a limit to the number of functions that can be defined?

--
     Matt Simmons  -  simmonmt@acm.org  -  http://www.netcom.com/~simmonmt
    "I have six locks on my door all in a row.  When I go out, I lock every