* searching for articles before fetching mail (imap)
@ 2010-11-01 12:45 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-11-01 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

How can I search for articles in my mailboxes without first fetching
them? I have thousands in my INBOX. Do I need to enter the group and
tell gnus to fetch and format thousands of mails before I can use "/ a"
for example? nnir isn't really useful since the resulting group isnt a
true mail group and lacks features normally found in the summary (with
move being  one).

I asked this in another thread but thought I'd repost with a dedicated
subject as there no reply.

* Re: searching for articles before fetching mail (imap)
@ 2010-11-01 13:03 ` Vegard Vesterheim
From: Vegard Vesterheim @ 2010-11-01 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: nognus

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 13:45:22 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:

> How can I search for articles in my mailboxes without first fetching
> them? I have thousands in my INBOX. Do I need to enter the group and
> tell gnus to fetch and format thousands of mails before I can use "/ a"
> for example? nnir isn't really useful since the resulting group isnt a
> true mail group and lacks features normally found in the summary (with
> move being  one).
>
> I asked this in another thread but thought I'd repost with a dedicated
> subject as there no reply.

From nnir.el:

;; When looking at the retrieval result (in the Summary buffer) you
;; can type `G T' (aka M-x gnus-summary-nnir-goto-thread RET) on an
;; article.  You will be teleported into the group this article came
;; from, showing the thread this article is part of.  (See below for
;; restrictions.)

Sadly gnus-summary-refer-thread does not work when teleported into the
correct group, but moving articles seems to work.

 - Vegard V -