* Gnus: Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)
@ 2009-10-13 18:39 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2009-10-13 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sent this to emacs-devel list by mistake originally, no worder no reactions :O)

When I run the current CVS version of Emacs and connect to my IMAP mail server
with Gnus, I get a message on startup:

Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)

When answering y, for every Gnus instance you run you end up with one hanging
process, and when exiting Emacs after
closing Gnus you get the prompt:

Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (y or n)

and *Process List* shows:

imap<1> run      (Killed) gnutls-cli -s xxxx.xxxx.xxx -p 143

one line for each process.

*Messages* shows:

imap: Connecting to xxxx.xxxx.xxx...
Waiting for response from xxxx.xxxx.xxx...done
imap: Reconnecting with stream `starttls'...
Opening STARTTLS connection to `xxxx.xxxx.xxx:143'...
Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)
imap: Reconnecting with stream `starttls'...failed
imap: Connecting to xxxx.xxxx.xxx...done

If answering n to the prompt to kill the active process, everything is the
same, just upon Emacs exit *Process List* shows:

imap<1> run      *temp* gnutls-cli -s xxxx.xxxx.xxx -p 143

for each hanging process of each Gnus instance started in the Emacs session.

When running Ubuntu's emacs-snapshot, which is of version 20090320, *Messages*
shows the following:

imap: Connecting to xxxx.xxxx.xxx...
Waiting for response from xxxx.xxxx.xxx...done
imap: Reconnecting with stream `starttls'...
Opening STARTTLS connection to `xxxx.xxxx.xxx:143'...
imap: Reconnecting with stream `starttls'...failed
imap: Connecting to xxxx.xxxx.xxx...done

but no message on startup and there is no process hanging on exit. So something
is also failing, but no processes
hanging remain.

How can I fix this?

Best regards,

白い熊

* Re: Gnus: Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)
@ 2009-10-15  1:35 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2009-10-15  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

From: Tassilo Horn <tassilo <at> member.fsf.org>
Date: 2009-10-14 06:57:00 GMT (18 hours and 46 minutes ago)

>I think I don't quite understand what you are doing.  Do you run several
>instances of emacs, and start gnus in several of them connecting to the
>same IMAP server?

Hi, thanks for the input. However this is not the case. This happens every time I use gnus, from a single instance on a
single computer. I mention the number of sessions, as that happens when I start Gnus, then exit it, then from the same
Emacs session start Gnus again, then exit again, the running-trailing sessions accumulate.

The relevant part of ~/.emacs, of how I have the IMAP access set up:

;; Gnus with IMAP over ssh
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "xxxx.xxxx.xxx" (nnimap-address "xxxx.xxxx.xxx")))
;; Tree view for groups
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)
;;Threads
(setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function 'gnus-gather-threads-by-subject)
;; Change email address for work folder.  This is one of the most interesting features of Gnus.  I plan on adding custom
.sigs soon for different mailing lists.
(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
         (name "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx")
	 ("Gcc" "INBOX")
         (address "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"))))
(setq gnus-message-archive-method
      '(nnfolder "archive"
		 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)
		 (nnfolder-directory "~/News/archive")
		 (nnfolder-active-file "~/News/archive/active")))
;; To display "Name" <email address>
(setq message-from-style 'angles)
;; To sort reverse-chronologically
(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions 'gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)
;; Caching
(setq gnus-use-cache t)
(setq gnus-cache-enter-articles '(read ticked dormant))
(setq gnus-cache-remove-articles '(unread))
;; To delete files also from the server, so that they are not kept
;; in the cache and stick around forever, the following
;; workaround is necessary.
;; This will delete the expired/deleted emails and remove them
;; from the local cache. The items will be deleted from the IMAP
;; server and locally, thus disappear everywhere.
(defun gnus-imap-cache-delete ()
       (interactive)
       (save-excursion
	 (setq gnus-use-cache 'passive)
	 (gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable -1))
       (gnus-cache-remove-article)
       (setq gnus-use-cache t))
(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (local-set-key (kbd "E") 'gnus-imap-cache-delete)))
;; Debugging
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "xxxx.xxxx.xxx"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "xxxx.xxxx.xxx"
      smtpmail-local-domain nil
      smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials (expand-file-name "xxxxxxxxxxx"))
;; Must be placed after declaring the smtpmail-... variables, otherwise they have no effect
(require 'smtpmail)
;; Has to be set after `(require 'smtpmail)' to set login as the method, as `cram-md5'
(setq smtpmail-auth-supported '(login))

What could be causing the problem?

白い熊