* Fighting spam with gnus and bogofilter
@ 2004-10-25 11:46 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2004-10-25 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I currently use fetchmail for getting mails and procmail
for splitting them into ml folders.
I'd like to tell bogofilter what mail is spam and
what mail is ham, from Gnus.

Is there any simple recipe for this?

So far, I only found recipes for people using Gnus from
splitting mails.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: Fighting spam with gnus and bogofilter
@ 2004-10-25 12:44 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-10-25 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 25 2004, Jérôme Marant wrote:

> I currently use fetchmail for getting mails and procmail
> for splitting them into ml folders.
> I'd like to tell bogofilter what mail is spam and
> what mail is ham, from Gnus.
>
> Is there any simple recipe for this?
>
> So far, I only found recipes for people using Gnus from
> splitting mails.

Try reading the manual:

(info "(gnus)Filtering Spam Using The Spam ELisp Package")
(info "(gnus)Spam ELisp Package Sequence of Events")
(info "(gnus)Bogofilter")

If the manual is unclear, please try to help us improving it.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Fighting spam with gnus and bogofilter
@ 2004-10-26 10:37       ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2004-10-26 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, jmarant@free.fr wrote:
>
>> But isn't possible to consider as ham all messages that are not marked as
>> spam? (which seems quite logical). I'm going to look into the manual
>> in order to see if it possible.
>
> It's possible, but you don't want to do it in a regular group, because
> the ham will be processed EVERY time you exit the group.  spam/ham
> status is designed to be sort of a one-time thing, it does not "stick."

That is right. Thanks.

--

@ 2004-10-26 15:09 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-10-26 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, jmarant@free.fr wrote:

> I currently use fetchmail for getting mails and procmail for
> splitting them into ml folders.  I'd like to tell bogofilter what
> mail is spam and what mail is ham, from Gnus.
>
> Is there any simple recipe for this?

You mark messages as spam or ham, and when you exit the group they
will be processed by the spam and ham processors (you probably want
Bogofilter for both).  The crucial thing is what you consider "ham
marks" (I use the '!' mark, personally) and there are a few settings
about what to do with the ham once it's moved or copied after
processing.  Moving and copying are actually exit processors in the
latest CVS Gnus, if you use that.

The manual tells you how to use spam and ham group exit processors.  I
hope this helps.

Ted

* Re: Fighting spam with gnus and bogofilter
@ 2004-10-26 16:02   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2004-10-26 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, jmarant@free.fr wrote:
>
> > I currently use fetchmail for getting mails and procmail for
> > splitting them into ml folders.  I'd like to tell bogofilter what
> > mail is spam and what mail is ham, from Gnus.
> >
> > Is there any simple recipe for this?
>
> You mark messages as spam or ham, and when you exit the group they
> will be processed by the spam and ham processors (you probably want
> Bogofilter for both).  The crucial thing is what you consider "ham
> marks" (I use the '!' mark, personally) and there are a few settings
> about what to do with the ham once it's moved or copied after
> processing.  Moving and copying are actually exit processors in the
> latest CVS Gnus, if you use that.

If it is just a matter of marking messages, then it is quite simple.
But isn't possible to consider as ham all messages that are not marked as
spam? (which seems quite logical). I'm going to look into the manual
in order to see if it possible.

> The manual tells you how to use spam and ham group exit processors.  I
> hope this helps.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

--

@ 2004-10-26 17:58     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-10-26 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2004-10-27 14:20   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2004-10-27 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Quoting Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:

> The manual tells you how to use spam and ham group exit processors.  I
> hope this helps.

I looked into the manual and it seems that spam filtering needs to
be configured for each group.
I didn't find anyway to configure it globally (say, "process spam
with bogofilter for all groups whatsoever"). Is there any way
to do this?

Thanks.

--

@ 2004-10-27 14:49     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-10-27 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, jmarant@free.fr wrote:

> Quoting Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:
>
>> The manual tells you how to use spam and ham group exit processors.  I
>> hope this helps.
>
> I looked into the manual and it seems that spam filtering needs to
> be configured for each group.  I didn't find anyway to configure it
> globally (say, "process spam with bogofilter for all groups
> whatsoever"). Is there any way to do this?

Yes, you can set parameters with a variable (gnus-parameters) or per
topic.

Ted

* Re: Fighting spam with gnus and bogofilter
@ 2004-10-27 15:26       ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2004-10-27 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Quoting Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, jmarant@free.fr wrote:
>
> > Quoting Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:
> >
> >> The manual tells you how to use spam and ham group exit processors.  I
> >> hope this helps.
> >
> > I looked into the manual and it seems that spam filtering needs to
> > be configured for each group.  I didn't find anyway to configure it
> > globally (say, "process spam with bogofilter for all groups
> > whatsoever"). Is there any way to do this?
>
> Yes, you can set parameters with a variable (gnus-parameters) or per
> topic.

Well, AFAIK, gnus-parameters is a global variable which avoids using
"G p" on every group, but it is still about per-group configuration
within. Please correct me if I'm wrong (which would means I've not
been using it properly so far).

Thanks.

Cheers,

--

@ 2004-10-27 16:08         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-10-27 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 27 2004, Jérôme Marant wrote:

> Quoting Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:
[...]
>> Yes, you can set parameters with a variable (gnus-parameters) or per
>> topic.
>
> Well, AFAIK, gnus-parameters is a global variable which avoids using
> "G p" on every group, but it is still about per-group configuration
> within. Please correct me if I'm wrong (which would means I've not
> been using it properly so far).

Wrong, see (info "(gnus)Group Parameters").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Fighting spam with gnus and bogofilter
@ 2004-10-27 16:23           ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2004-10-27 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can use regexp with gnus-parameters.

--
相濡以沫,不如相忘于江湖。