From: Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com>
Subject: Re: Offline mail and group cooperation
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:41:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Kai Großjohann wrote:

>  * First of all, there is the disconnected thing.  People access
>    mail from their laptop while at home, while at work, and they
>    might want to read it while in the train.  So I want to slurp
>    mails from home, work on them in the train on the way to work,
>    then send my responses from the office.
>
>  * Secondly, there is the shared email thing.  People work together
>    on a project and all email regarding the project should be seen
>    by all people.
>
>  * Some of these mails are todo items.  It would be nice to have a
>    way to see which items are done and which still need to be done.

is cooperation the central aspect?  everybody working on and
contributing to the same set of documents?  that would be a wiki, but
this wiki would have to be a little like shared IMAP folders with
everybody having a separate, propably extensible set of marks and
access rights.  there would be public marks (ie. with agreed upon
semantics), manipulated by a central mechanism, public marks
manipulated by users and private marks with any meaning one can dream
up.

for disconnected operation, a local copy of something is needed, but
as you can't be sure somebody else changes the same thing at the same
time, you'd need CVS features.  collisions were the thing to worry
about:  you'd either want to fork off a separate version or merge
after discussion.

every document in such a database would need its own list of people
subscribed to notifications in case it is changed.

clemens