From: Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@bing.wattle.id.au>
Subject: Re: Preventing multiple startups of Gnus by the same user?
Date: 07 Mar 2000 15:35:19 +1100	[thread overview]

Lloyd Zusman wrote :

> Suppose I have started up XEmacs as a certain user on my machine,
> and this XEmacs process is running Gnus.  Now, suppose I forget that
> this original XEmacs process is evan running and I start XEmacs up
> all over again under that same user ID.  Now, suppose I try to start
> Gnus under this second XEmacs process.  What I'd like to do is for
> this second Gnus to never start up because there's another one
> running as the same user ID within a different process.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, `gnus-alive-p' only checks for an
> already-running Gnus within a single XEmacs process.
>
> If this cannot be done directly using Gnus, perhaps XEmacs provides
> some functions that I can use to implement this ... ???

Do you run gnuserv ?  Only one instance of gnuserv can run per user,
so if you start it a second time in a second copy of emacs it'll die
straight away - perhaps just before you try starting gnuserv in your
.emacs you could run "gnuclient -eval '(gnus-alive-p)'" and see what
it says - if there's already a copy of XEmacs running gnuserv that's
running gnus, it'd work.

Of course, if you're in the habit of running multiple copies of
XEmacs, you'd prolly want to make sure that only the one running Gnus
is the one that runs gnuserv...

HTH.

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> keep left