* .authinfo support broken in Gnus 5.8.5?
@ 2000-04-24 19:50 Steve Harris
From: Steve Harris @ 2000-04-24 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just updated my Gnus installation from 5.8.4 to 5.8.5 and it no
longer seems to read my ~/.authinfo file. It prompts me for user name
and password pairs for each server it has to log into.

Has anyone else noticed this?

--
Steven E. Harris
Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.

* Re: .authinfo support broken in Gnus 5.8.5?
@ 2000-04-24 21:06 ` Chris Brierley
From: Chris Brierley @ 2000-04-24 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2000-04-24, Steve Harris <sharris@primus.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed this?

I've noticed this as well.  I note in the ChangeLog that
gnus-netrc-machine was changed.  My WAG is that that's what's
broken as, for me, this problem is effecting nntp and nnimap
servers.

In fact, let me check ...  Yeah.  Here's a test with 5.8.5 which
fails and 5.8.4 which works:

,-----[ *scratch* transcript with 5.8.5
`-----

,-----[ *scratch* transcript with 5.8.4

@ 2000-04-25  1:14   ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-04-25  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris> On 2000-04-24, Steve Harris <sharris@primus.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone else noticed this?

Chris> I've noticed this as well.  I note in the ChangeLog that
Chris> gnus-netrc-machine was changed.  My WAG is that that's what's
Chris> broken as, for me, this problem is effecting nntp and nnimap
Chris> servers.

Fixed in the latest CVS version. Please test.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: .authinfo support broken in Gnus 5.8.5?
@ 2000-04-25 11:15   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-25 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Chris Brierley <brierley@pobox.com> writes:

> [...]  My WAG is[...]

What's a WAG?  www.dict.org doesn't have much to say about it.
(Assuming you didn't mean `a witty person' or `to move from one side
to the other'.)

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: .authinfo support broken in Gnus 5.8.5?
@ 2000-04-25 14:06     ` Chris Brierley
From: Chris Brierley @ 2000-04-25 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2000-04-25, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> What's a WAG?  www.dict.org doesn't have much to say about it.

Wrong dictionary.  ;)  Try
<http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term=WAG>:

It's Wild Ass Guess, at least in my world.

* Re: .authinfo support broken in Gnus 5.8.5?
@ 2000-04-25 14:11     ` Chris Brierley
From: Chris Brierley @ 2000-04-25 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2000-04-24, Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Fixed in the latest CVS version. Please test.

What's, currently, the best way to get just one fix from the CVS
version?  I'd like to test out and use this fix, but I only want
to track the beta releases of Gnus, not all the CVS versions.

Do I have to download the nightly tarball from
<ftp://ftp.gnus.org/pub/gnus/snapshots/> and find the fix to
gnus-util.el (in this case) inside there myself, or is there an
easier way?

Thanks much.

* Re: .authinfo support broken in Gnus 5.8.5?
@ 2000-04-25 14:49       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-25 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Chris Brierley <brierley@pobox.com> writes:

> What's, currently, the best way to get just one fix from the CVS
> version?  I'd like to test out and use this fix, but I only want
> to track the beta releases of Gnus, not all the CVS versions.

You could search for the fix by Shenghuo, then use `cvs diff' to
extract a patch.

kai
--

@ 2000-04-25 14:50       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-25 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Chris Brierley <brierley@pobox.com> writes:

> On 2000-04-25, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
> >
> > What's a WAG?  www.dict.org doesn't have much to say about it.
>
> Wrong dictionary.  ;)  Try
> <http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term=WAG>:

Hm.  Hmmmm...  So I'm submitting a feature wish to the author of
dict-web.el to enable it to query that dictionary, too.

Thanks,
kai
--

@ 2000-04-25 15:16     ` Chris Brierley
From: Chris Brierley @ 2000-04-25 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2000-04-24, Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Fixed in the latest CVS version. Please test.

Well, it is fixed, but the behavior is still a little weird, IMO.
How do I explain this.

It seems to me that the purpose of the change to
gnus-netrc-machine to add a port parameter was to allow multiple
entries in .authinfo for the same machine but a different servers
(i.e. nntp or imap).

If you *do not* specify a port when you call gnus-netrc-machine it
will prefer the first entry from .authinfo which matches the
machine and *either* has no port specified or port nntp specified.
That is, regardless of whether there is no port or "port nntp",
the first machine that matches in the file will be returned.  This
works fine if you specify your NNTP server with "port nntp" and
your IMAP server with no port information.

However, if you specify your IMAP server in .authinfo *with* "port
imap" (in fact, if you specify any port info other than nntp)
gnus-netrc-machine called without a port parameter will never find
it.  It will prefer an entry with no port information, or port
nntp, and if it can't find those it will return nil.

This is all probably fine in terms of the way this new
functionality is intended for use.  The problem here is that
nnimap.el does not currently call gnus-netrc-machine with a port
parameter.  So, if your .authinfo looks something like this:

,-----
| machine personal login foobar port imap
| machine personal login wubba port nntp
`-----

... the entry for IMAP will never be used in the current version
of Gnus.

This is all a bit funky.  Perhaps the best fix is to change
nnimap.el to specify a port when it uses gnus-netrc-machine.
However, that would *require* users to specify port information
for any server other than nntp, as an entry with no port
information will not be returned by:

  (gnus-netrc-machine list machine "imap")

Maybe it would be better for the function to only bring port
information into play *only* if there is more than one entry which
matches the machine.  Backends would be required to call
gnus-netrc-machine with port information in case there was a
collision in the file, but users wouldn't be required to specify
the port information unless they had two entries for the same
host.

Make sense?

* CVS diff (Was: Re: .authinfo support broken in Gnus 5.8.5?)
@ 2000-04-25 15:27         ` Pavel Janík ml.
From: Pavel Janík ml. @ 2000-04-25 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

   From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
   Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:49:23 +0200

Hi,

[...]

   > You could search for the fix by Shenghuo, then use `cvs diff' to
   > extract a patch.

cvs diff works for you on gnus cvs? It does not for me :-( Other things (cvs
up,...) work perfect.

Pavel Janík ml.
Pavel.Janik@inet.cz

* Re: CVS diff (Was: Re: .authinfo support broken in Gnus 5.8.5?)
@ 2000-04-25 15:54           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-25 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Pavel.Janik@inet.cz (Pavel Janík ml.) writes:

> cvs diff works for you on gnus cvs? It does not for me :-( Other
> things (cvs up,...) work perfect.

Yes, I have a locally modified version of message.el and from time to
time I do `cvs diff' to see which patches have been incorporated by
Lars :-)

Take any file, change it, and then run `cvs diff' from the main Gnus
directory.  What happens?

kai
--

@ 2000-04-25 16:15             ` Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2000-04-25 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Pavel Janík ml., ding

    Kai> Pavel.Janik@inet.cz (Pavel Janík ml.) writes:
    >> cvs diff works for you on gnus cvs? It does not for me :-( Other
    >> things (cvs up,...) work perfect.

    Kai> Yes, I have a locally modified version of message.el and from time to
    Kai> time I do `cvs diff' to see which patches have been incorporated by
    Kai> Lars :-)

    Kai> Take any file, change it, and then run `cvs diff' from the main Gnus
    Kai> directory.  What happens?

    Kai> kai

"cvs diff" will only tell you differences between your version and the version
you checked out, at least in classic cvs ... If you want to see the diffs
between your version and the current repository, you need to add a flag to
tell it that.

        cvs diff -r HEAD somefile

You can find a quick reference page for cvs commands at

        http://www.sourcegear.com/CVS/Docs/ref

I have a nice folding card version of this that I always keep by my side.

--
 Ted Stern                 Porting/Tuning/Analysis, Applications & Libraries
 Cray Inc.                                               http://www.tera.com