* Re: XEmacs info.el and PGnus info files
@ 2000-05-30 14:04 Karl Berry
From: Karl Berry @ 2000-05-30 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: didier, xemacs-beta, ding

.info is not mandatory.  The texinfo distribution itself uses texinfo-1,
texinfo-2, etc.

It also supports numerous other extensions, mostly for DOS.

static char *info_suffixes[] = {
  ".info",
  "-info",
  ".inf",       /* 8+3 file on filesystem which supports long file names */
#ifdef __MSDOS__
  /* 8+3 file names strike again...  */
  ".in",        /* for .inz, .igz etc. */
  ".i",
#endif
  "",
  NULL
};

static COMPRESSION_ALIST compress_suffixes[] = {
  { ".gz", "gunzip" },
  { ".bz2", "bunzip2" },
  { ".z", "gunzip" },
  { ".Z", "uncompress" },
  { ".Y", "unyabba" },
#ifdef __MSDOS__
  { "gz", "gunzip" },
  { "z", "gunzip" },
#endif
  { (char *)NULL, (char *)NULL }
};

* Re: XEmacs info.el and PGnus info files
@ 2000-05-29 15:26 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-05-29 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: XEmacs Beta Testers, ding, Karl Berry

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:

> - our info.el assumes that all info files have a .info extention (modulo
>   gzip compression and stuff).

Gnus is not the only package to avoid `.info' as an extension.  Moreover,
DJGPP might use different extensions.

> - PGnus calls its info files gnus-[0-9]+ [...]
> Personaly, I think that our info.el tries to be too clever, but I also
> think that PGnus shouldn't mess around with makeinfo's output file name.

Nothing wrong, there.  Gnus is not messing with output file names, as
`makeinfo' default is a proposal, not a standard.  A lot of Info files
do not (or did not?) have `.info' extension anyway.  Maybe that `.info'
as an extension became mandated?  That would be new to me, but I'm not
following everything.  Cc:ing to Karl, who might have an opinion on this.

* XEmacs info.el and PGnus info files
@ 2000-05-29 14:44 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2000-05-29 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

        There's a problem:

- our info.el assumes that all info files have a .info extention (modulo
  gzip compression and stuff).
- PGnus calls its info files gnus-[0-9]+

        As a result, these files can never be seen in the Info buffer. I
discovered that because the PGnus info files are currently the only ones I
have in my site-packages directory, and this directory suddenly disapeared
from my Info buffer.

        Personaly, I think that our info.el tries to be too clever, but I also
think that PGnus shouldn't mess around with makeinfo's output file name.

        Waddyathink ?

--
    /     /   _   _       Didier Verna        http://www.inf.enst.fr/~verna/
 - / / - / / /_/ /        EPITA / LRDE         mailto:didier@lrde.epita.fr