* URL button question
@ 2000-06-13 13:57 M E Froumentin
From: M E Froumentin @ 2000-06-13 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I make gnus open a new browser window when I click on a URL?

(Now that I think of it, It would be nice to have a button-3 menu
 that offers several browsers, like:
        netscape (existing window)
        netscape (new window)
        lynx, etc.)

Max.

* Re: URL button question
@ 2000-06-27 12:51 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2000-06-27 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

 MEF> How do I make gnus open a new browser window when I click on a URL?

I'm afraid the new-window stuff in browse-url has been variously
broken with a shortage of bug reports, but I don't remember how in
which releases.  FWIW, it's fixed in the development sources.

* Re: URL button question
@ 2000-06-27 13:19   ` Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 2000-06-27 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk> writes:

> FWIW, it's fixed in the development sources.

Thanks Dave,
Where can I get them ?

Max.

* Re: URL button question
@ 2000-06-27 13:30     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-06-27 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Max Froumentin <masmef@bath.ac.uk> writes:

> Where can I get them [the devel sources]?

Either via CVS, or get a snapshot from ftp.gnus.org.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: URL button question
@ 2000-06-27 16:06       ` Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 2000-06-27 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Either via CVS, or get a snapshot from ftp.gnus.org.

But browse-url.el isn't part of gnus. The one I use came with Emacs 20.6.

Max.

* Re: URL button question
@ 2000-06-28 17:12     ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2000-06-28 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

 MF> Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk> writes:
 >> FWIW, it's fixed in the development sources.

 MF> Thanks Dave,
 MF> Where can I get them ?

You can't, unless you're promising to do useful development on them.

The problem with the new-window-p stuff in your copy is probably
fairly obvious.  It wasn't deemed a serious enough bug to be fixed
post-20.4.

* Re: URL button question
@ 2000-06-29 15:01       ` Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 2000-06-29 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk> writes:

> The problem with the new-window-p stuff in your copy is probably
> fairly obvious.  It wasn't deemed a serious enough bug to be fixed
> post-20.4.

Although my knowledge of elisp is very small, I've had a look at
gnus-art.el and browse-url.el. What happens is that gnus calls
browse-url with only the url as an argument.  browse-url itself calls
browse-url-netscape with the same arg, so the 'new-window' arg is never set.

The obvious fix is be to have gnus call browse-url with a second
argument. What I did is replace the call to browse-url in
gnus-button-alist with 'my-browse-url-new-window' defined as:

(defun my-browse-url-new-window (url)
  (browse-url url t))

It's definitely not the best way of doing it. When I'm confident about
writing correct elisp (if that ever happens) I'll try and find a
better fix (a popup menu would be nice).

Max.

* Re: URL button question
@ 2000-06-30  0:30         ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2000-06-30  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 Jun 2000, Max Froumentin <masmef@bath.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> The problem with the new-window-p stuff in your copy is probably
>> fairly obvious.  It wasn't deemed a serious enough bug to be fixed
>> post-20.4.
>
> Although my knowledge of elisp is very small, I've had a look at
> gnus-art.el and browse-url.el. What happens is that gnus calls
> browse-url with only the url as an argument. browse-url itself calls
> browse-url-netscape with the same arg, so the 'new-window' arg is
> never set.
>
> The obvious fix is be to have gnus call browse-url with a second
> argument. What I did is replace the call to browse-url in
> gnus-button-alist with 'my-browse-url-new-window' defined as:

Well, I use:

,----
| (defadvice browse-url (around always-do-new-window (url &optional nw) activate)
|   (ad-set-arg 1 t)
|   ad-do-it)
`----

This forces `browse-url' to always open a new window (which I prefer.)

        Daniel

--
No story is the same to us after the lapse of time; or rather
we who read it are no longer the same interpreters.