* gnus-mail-save-name: folder based on sender?
@ 2001-02-12 22:59 lewst
From: lewst @ 2001-02-12 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

When saving mail messages with `o', I'd like it if Gnus could choose a
folder based on the username of the sender rather than the name of the
group.  For example, `o' on one of Lars' articles would prompt for
~/Mail/Archive/larsi

Has anyone tweaked `gnus-mail-save-name' to do this?

* Re: gnus-mail-save-name: folder based on sender?
@ 2001-02-13  5:12 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-02-13  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

lewst <lewst@yahoo.com> writes:

> When saving mail messages with `o', I'd like it if Gnus could choose a
> folder based on the username of the sender rather than the name of the
> group.  For example, `o' on one of Lars' articles would prompt for
> ~/Mail/Archive/larsi
>
> Has anyone tweaked `gnus-mail-save-name' to do this?

Do you want this?

(defun gnus-sender-save-name (newsgroup headers &optional last-file)
  "Generate file name from sender."
  (let ((from (mail-header-from headers)))
    (expand-file-name
     (if (and from (string-match "\\([^ <]+\\)@" from))
	 (match-string 1 from)
       "misc")
     gnus-article-save-directory)))

ShengHuo

--
(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*" (signature (format "(setq gnus-posting-styles

* Re: gnus-mail-save-name: folder based on sender?
@ 2001-02-13 18:07   ` lewst
From: lewst @ 2001-02-13 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Do you want this?
>
> (defun gnus-sender-save-name (newsgroup headers &optional last-file)
>   "Generate file name from sender."
>   (let ((from (mail-header-from headers)))
>     (expand-file-name
>      (if (and from (string-match "\\([^ <]+\\)@" from))
> 	 (match-string 1 from)
>        "misc")
>      gnus-article-save-directory)))

This doesn't have any effect for me.  I added it to my .gnus,
and gnus still prompts for a folder based on the name of the
group.  I'm using Oort v0.01 under XEmacs 21.1.14.

* Re: gnus-mail-save-name: folder based on sender?
@ 2001-02-13 18:28     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-02-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

lewst <lewst@yahoo.com> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> wrote:
>
> > Do you want this?
> >
> > (defun gnus-sender-save-name (newsgroup headers &optional last-file)
> >   "Generate file name from sender."
> >   (let ((from (mail-header-from headers)))
> >     (expand-file-name
> >      (if (and from (string-match "\\([^ <]+\\)@" from))
> > 	 (match-string 1 from)
> >        "misc")
> >      gnus-article-save-directory)))
> >

> This doesn't have any effect for me.  I added it to my .gnus,
> and gnus still prompts for a folder based on the name of the
> group.  I'm using Oort v0.01 under XEmacs 21.1.14.

Did you add this or some other gnus-*-save-name variables?

    (setq gnus-mail-save-name 'gnus-sender-save-name)

ShengHuo (t y p i n g  w i t h  o n e  h a n d)

--

@ 2001-02-13 19:06   ` lewst
From: lewst @ 2001-02-13 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding