* Gnus/PGG password problem
@ 2003-12-20 21:17 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2003-12-20 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using mailcrypt for years, but someone recently pointed out
that MIME is now the "standard" way to do signing. Fair enough, I'd be
happy to make the messages look a little less awkward in
non-encryption aware readers anyway.

So I'm trying to switch to PGG. I've removed all the mailcrypt stuff from
my .gnus file and replaced it with:

;; PGG
(require 'pgg)

(setq pgg-cache-passphrase t)
(setq pgg-passphrase-cache-expiry 3600)

;; Emacs should always decrypt and verify emails automatically
(setq mm-verify-option 'always)
(setq mm-decrypt-option 'always)

;; Automcatically sign when sending mails

(defun will-you-sign ()
  (interactive)
  (if (y-or-n-p "Do you want to sign this message? ")
     (mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)))

(add-hook 'gnus-message-setup-hook 'will-you-sign)

In a few minutes I'll probably get around to replacing will-you-sign with
sign-always, but that isn't the issue.

With the setup above, using Gnus 5.10.2, when I send a signed message,
it asks me for my key three times in a row (apparently once for each
destination that the message goes to, the outside world, the current
group, and the monthly archive group).

What's more, if I send another message right away, it asks me three
times again. It appears not to be caching the passphrase.

Clues, please?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The years teach us much which the days
http://nwalsh.com/            | never knew.-- Emerson

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Gnus/PGG password problem
@ 2003-12-20 21:47 ` Ivan Boldyrev
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2003-12-20 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8599 day of my life Norman Walsh wrote:
> With the setup above, using Gnus 5.10.2, when I send a signed message,
> it asks me for my key three times in a row (apparently once for each
> destination that the message goes to, the outside world, the current
> group, and the monthly archive group).
>
> What's more, if I send another message right away, it asks me three
> times again. It appears not to be caching the passphrase.
>
> Clues, please?

It is known bug, and it was fixed in development version of Gnus (get
night snapshots or directly from CVS, but note, it is unstable version).

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                               Onions have layers.  Unix has layers too.

@ 2003-12-21  4:35 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-12-21  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> (require 'pgg)
>
> (setq pgg-cache-passphrase t)

These shouldn't be needed with CVS.

> With the setup above, using Gnus 5.10.2, when I send a signed message,
> it asks me for my key three times in a row (apparently once for each
> destination that the message goes to, the outside world, the current
> group, and the monthly archive group).
>
> What's more, if I send another message right away, it asks me three
> times again. It appears not to be caching the passphrase.
>
> Clues, please?

Perhaps this is solved in Gnus 5.10.3 (i.e., CVS)?  I believe the
passphrase cache didn't work in 5.10.2.

* Re: Gnus/PGG password problem
@ 2003-12-21 15:53   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2003-12-21 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> was heard to say:
[...]
| Perhaps this is solved in Gnus 5.10.3 (i.e., CVS)?  I believe the
| passphrase cache didn't work in 5.10.2.

Indeed it is, thanks.

One more question. I now see output like this when I read encrypted messages:

[[PGP Signed Part:Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  Untrusted, Fingerprint: 645D 8055 B685 E0EC 3B0B B507 3B29 6D51 CC18 5A3B]]

Now, I have my own public key in my pubring.gpg, so I would have
expected that to be "trusted". I expect this is some aspect of PGP
that I don't know enough about, rather than a gnus thing, but a
pointer would be appreciated.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--